Global Head of Operations
Food waste is a $1 trillion problem – costing the world over 1% of global GDP. We’re dead set on solving the problem and looking for people to help us achieve our mission. We, at Winnow, believe that food is far too valuable to waste, and that technology can transform the way we produce food. Our team is made of people who all share a passion for food and technology.
Winnow was founded in London in 2013 to help the hospitality industry prevent food waste through internet of things tools in the kitchen. We have worked with hundreds of sites and are operating in over 30 countries around the world supported by our offices in London, Dubai, Shanghai, Singapore, Romania and North America. We are a rapidly growing company with a strong base of clients who are rolling out our system globally. We have blue-chip customers including Accor Hotels, IKEA, IHG, Marriott, Compass Group and many others.
Winnow’s clients on average reduce waste by over 50% by value and sustain savings. Winnow has now worked with hundreds of sites to reduce food waste, including hotels, universities and schools, staff restaurants, event/hospitality kitchens, buffets, pubs, and high street restaurants. Where the system is permanently adopted, pre-consumer waste value is reduced by 50% - 70% with no detrimental impact to the perceived quality or value of the offer to their customers. This represents a typical improvement of food cost savings of 3% to 8%, commonly a 40%+ increase in profitability for operations.
As the global leader in addressing food waste, we are committed to continue pushing the envelope on what technology can do to solve this problem. Winnow Vision, our new artificial intelligence-based technology, is trained to automatically track all food waste thrown away. It has won awards at the World Economic Forum and has been received tremendous enthusiasm from our clients and the industry. You can read more about it on our website and this article in Forbes.
We are passionate about living our values and place them at the centre of everything we do. We are excited about like minded talent who share these values, joining us in our mission:
Equal parts head and heart. We’re both passionate and measured. We carefully balance the need for quick solutions and pragmatism with the ability to step back, take in the bigger picture and build for the long term.
Bravely honest. With each other, that means we’re a transparent organisation where healthy, respectful debate is encouraged. With our customers, we challenge them if we don’t think they’re achieving their goals, whether they be environmental or financial.
People of action. Done is better than perfect, and we learn by boldly doing then rapidly improving. We’re breaking new ground, so we know things might go wrong. But we judge ourselves and each other on our reaction and our resilience.
Bound by food. We’re a diverse bunch, but our belief in the value of food is the common thread in everything we do. With each other, we celebrate through our love and respect for food. With our customers, it means we work hard to develop creative tools to make it easy for chefs to value food.
Hungry and humble. Our product is revolutionary, our people are impressive, and we’re hungry for change. But, we’re just the catalyst for a bigger movement. We stay humble regardless of our success, and make chefs the heroes in this journey.
This is an opportunity to join a rapidly growing start-up (and one of Wired’s top 100 start-ups in Europe) and help us propel our growth at what is truly the most exciting and dynamic points in time in our business. You will work alongside a driven team who are motivated by building an exciting business and leaving the world a better place than we found it.
About the role
Due to continued growth an exciting and newly created role now exists for a talented, driven and strategically focused individual to lead our Global Operations team.
This is a high impact, high profile position as the company embarks upon an exciting period of growth and transformation. Instigating and managing change, as well as managing and motivating the teams to deliver high standards of performance and developing talent are critical.
This role will report to the CEO and will oversee a global team of 30 (consisting of Customer Success, Customer Support, Materials management and menu building) spread across 7 locations.
- Build a global Customer Support model which services our global customer base in the most cost efficient manner whilst maintaining required levels of customer satisfaction
- Play a leading role in the development of the long-term materials strategy, building a future-proof process which maximises global efficiencies
- Own the forecasting and capacity planning process for Customer Success, helping to define targets and resource allocations
- Streamline Operational activities building on the strategy of off-shoring certain tasks to the Cluj office
- Partner with all necessary teams to identify, design and implement process optimisation across the Operations functions
- Deliver strategic and operations projects globally as required
- Frame and break down complex problems into key components, design and execute on analyzing large and complex datasets to drive insights and provide recommendations to get results
- Report on key indicators, drivers and trends for the business on a monthly and quarterly basis, performing ad-hoc analyses as needed
- Build and maintain global reports and dashboards
- Provide line management and leadership for the global team
- Be an integral part of the leadership team
Education and experience
- You are likely to be degree educated
- You have significant experience in managing Global Operations within a SaaS organisation
- You have proven experience is scaling Global Operations, and can demonstrate how you have devised and then implemented an Operations strategy to significantly increase organisational efficiencies
- You have a successful record delivering KPIs. You take a relentless approach in motivating your team to deliver this
- You value the importance of data. You are skilled in distilling and manipulating raw data, transforming it into useful and actionable information which can drive and influence strategic business decisions
- With proven leadership capabilities, you are able to demonstrate how you have successfully implemented successes by delivering through others. You take a coaching approach with colleagues, and like to empower your team
- You are results driven and can demonstrate how you have delivered effective solutions at pace
- You can demonstrate success in collaborating cross-functionally in order to deliver the best to your customers. You value the need to build strong partnerships internally and invest time in this activity
- You have proven experience in challenging and questioning the status quo. You enjoy implementing creative and innovative solutions to improve the way things get done
- You are transparent and act with integrity at all times
- You are able to organise self, including effective scheduling, prioritisation and time management skills, managing multiple tasks in parallel and completing tasks to tight deadlines
- You have the ability to convince others to an expressed point of view and gain acceptance and agreement of plans
- You demonstrate excellent communication skills. You are a confident and articulate presenter to audiences small and large. You communicate clearly in both written and spoken language. You listen attentively; you process and comprehend what you hear
- You have a track record of identifying and understanding complex problems, analysing options and deploying sound and sometimes tough decision-making skills
- You have strong analytical skills and are proven in using data to quickly get to the root cause of an issue from which you can start to work on a solution
- Motivated and curious, you love absorbing new information and are able to reliably recall and figure out how to rapidly apply it
Our shared attributes
- You are both passionate and measured. You carefully balance the need for quick solutions and pragmatism with the ability to step back, take in the bigger picture and build for the long term
- You are transparent in approach and enjoy healthy, respectful debate. You work hard to build open and honest collaborative relationships
- You get things done and seek to continually improve. Your customers want you on their team
- You are passionate about the value of food and are committed to the fight against food waste
- You are humble in approach and quick to pitch in if you see someone struggling
- Competitive base salary
- Life insurance
- Company part-funded health insurance
- Matching pension scheme
- Employee assistance programme
- Eyecare vouchers
- 25 days of paid vacation time (plus the option to buy a further 5 days annual leave) in addition to national holidays
- You will love what you do – waking up every day solving one of the biggest social problems of our generation
- Committed team members with broad experience who share a common passion to build a world class business
- Shared office space in central London with free happy hours and a great working environment