Head of Technology, Romania
About the company
Food waste is a $1 trillion problem – costing the world over 1% of global GDP. We’re dead set on solving the problem by developing cutting edge technology to transform the way we produce food.
Now in our fifth year of operation, we are currently operating in over 30 countries solving food waste issues for many blue chip global clients. We are rapidly growing, we are well funded, and we are just at the start of our journey.
Our current product is solid. But we are ambitious and have big plans to transform the Winnow system to one which makes headlines. To help us achieve this we will be investing heavily in hiring the smartest and most talented technical expertise, and we plan to do this by opening a brand-new office in Cluj.
About the role
As you’d expect with any fast growing start-up, you’ll enjoy a wide variety of responsibilities. Working closely with the CTO (London-based), you’ll lead the tech team in Cluj, helping to design and implement the company’s technology plans. You won’t be afraid to roll up your sleeves and help unblock colleagues at the ground level. You’ll provide daily direction and decision making to the Romania based team, whilst also providing input to and representing the region in global strategic decision making.
You’ll be expected to take a keen interest in industry trends and new technologies and help evaluate and incorporate them into the business moving forward to make sure it remains an environment of innovation.
This is a truly exceptional opportunity for a driven and motivated individual to lead our technical office in Cluj. As our first hire in Romania, you will be instrumental in shaping the office, helping us recreate the positive and unique culture we enjoy elsewhere around the globe.
- Leading the team to deliver multiple software development projects
- Work closely with other teams and specialties like DevOps, Testers, Product, Scrum Masters, Operations, Support, etc
- Work closely with technical operations team to ensure proposed solutions will work effectively with hardware we supply or commit to support as required.
- Grow the office taking ownership for the recruitment, selection and onboarding of new joiners to meet annual headcount plans
- Estimate and track budget related to projects, technology selection, resource management
- Mentor, coach and develop team members including performance management for direct reports
- Drive culture of continuous improvement, challenging current practices with a view to constantly improving performance of team members, process and deliverables
- Participate in system design and system architecture efforts
- Evaluate current and new technology and recommend improvements in stack or architecture
- Automate low value activities in the work stream to improve our efficiency
- Track and monitor performance metric of our development team and our deployed software
- Deliver quality applications and services
- Maintain current knowledge of technology landscape and developments, taking the initiative to drive innovation and adoption of best practices
Technology is at the forefront of what we do, and the success of our company is based on our world-class technology and on finding solutions to real world problems that have not been solved to date. Our current stack includes:
- Languages: Node.js, Java, AngularJS, Python
- Android apps
- REST APIs
- Designing and manufacturing IoT ‘smart’ edge devices and expanding using Linux powered devices on the field collecting data using cutting edge technologies
- Focus on security, user authentication, permissions, data integrity
- AWS Cloud using EC2, Aurora, S3 and other services
- JIRA, Confluence, BitBucket (Atlassian products)
- Moving to a Microservices architecture using Kafka for messaging and currently implementing other patterns
- Continuous Integration and Delivery using Jenkins, SonarQube, New Relic, Docker,Terraform
- Test Driven Development environment with focus on testing and quality output
- Agile team using Scrum or Kanban (each team chooses the best approach to drive results)
- Reporting and Analytics using Pentaho
- Good English, spoken and written.
- Can program using at least two programming languages - one of them being Java, Node,js or Python) and eager to expand skills when needed to complete a project
- Have a solid understanding of concepts like Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery, Code Coverage, Code Quality, Test Driven Development, Unit Testing, and Integration Testing
- Are passionate about TDD, thinking how to test and are not trying to ‘escape’ writing Unit or Integration tests. Each developer is responsible and accountable for their delivered work
- Able to estimate effort and deliver on your commitment
- Have experience working with tools like JIRA and Confluence in a fully Agile environment using Jenkins as the CI tool
- Want to prototype solutions using new cutting-edge technologies and present them to the team (or to the world)
- Comfortable in a fast-moving small company environment where things change
- Able to plan and measure progress to that plan and report progress to the Product and the CTO
- With proven leadership capabilities, you are able to demonstrate how you have successfully implemented your projects by delegating and delivering through others
- Able to attract, support, and inspire great technical teams
- Able to convince others of expressed point of view, gaining acceptance and buy-in to plans
- Be the ‘bridge’ between London and Cluj, facilitate team meetings, events and will be able to travel to London frequently and when needed
- Competitive base salary
- Company stock options package
- Eligible for discretionary annual bonus
- Health insurance
- 25 days of paid vacation time in addition to national holidays
- Shared office space with a great working environment and a flexible approach to work
- You will love what you do – waking up every day solving one of the biggest social problems of our generation
- Committed team members with broad experience who share a common passion to build a world class business