Machine Learning Researcher
Food waste is a $1 trillion problem – costing the world over 1% of global GDP. We’re dead set on solving the problem and looking for people to help us achieve our mission. We, at Winnow, believe that food is far too valuable to waste, and that technology can transform the way we produce food. Our team is made of people who all share a passion for food and technology.
Winnow was founded in London in 2013 to help the hospitality industry prevent food waste through internet of things tools in the kitchen. We have worked with hundreds of sites and are operating in over 30 countries around the world supported by our offices in London, Dubai, Shanghai, Singapore, Romania and North America. We are a rapidly growing company with a strong base of clients who are rolling out our system globally. We have blue-chip customers including Accor Hotels, IKEA, IHG, Marriott, Compass Group and many others.
Winnow’s clients on average reduce waste by over 50% by value and sustain savings. Winnow has now worked with hundreds of sites to reduce food waste, including hotels, universities and schools, staff restaurants, event/hospitality kitchens, buffets, pubs, and high street restaurants. Where the system is permanently adopted, pre-consumer waste value is reduced by 50% - 70% with no detrimental impact to the perceived quality or value of the offer to their customers. This represents a typical improvement of food cost savings of 3% to 8%, commonly a 40%+ increase in profitability for operations.
As the global leader in addressing food waste, we are committed to continue pushing the envelope on what technology can do to solve this problem. Winnow Vision, our new artificial intelligence-based technology, is trained to automatically track all food waste thrown away. It has won awards at the World Economic Forum and has been received tremendous enthusiasm from our clients and the industry. You can read more about it on our website and this article in Forbes.
About the role
We are looking for a Machine Learning Researcher to join our highly experienced team, working on cutting edge Artificial Intelligence technologies in order to provide solutions to problems that so far have been in the range of “impossible”! The Winnow team is breaking boundaries and winning global awards for the innovative solutions it provides to commercial kitchens to reduce food waste.
Winnow is open to flexible/remote working, for this role it will be needed to be in our London office at least 1 day per week.
- Minimum Master's degree in Machine Learning, Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics or equivalent. Ideally PhD level of above with commercial experience.
- Good programming skills using Python.
- Expertise in at least one of: Bayesian Learning, Object Detection, Reinforcement Learning, Semantics Segmentation. NLP will be an additional bonus.
- Expertise in working with Keras (TensorFlow, PyTorch).
- Experience running Computer Vision models with a lot of data.
- Working independently, prototyping and finding solutions that can be productionised.
- Teamwork, knowledge transfer, process documentation.
- Passionate about Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence.
- Experience working with Linux and AWS.
Technology is at the forefront of what we do, and the success of our company is based on our world-class technology and on finding solutions to real-world problems that have not been solved to date. Our current stack includes:
- Languages: Node.js, Java, AngularJS, Python
- Android apps
- REST APIs
- Designing and manufacturing IoT ‘smart’ edge devices and expanding using Linux powered devices on the field collecting data using cutting edge technologies
- Focus on security, user authentication, permissions, data integrity
- AWS Cloud using EC2, Aurora, S3 and other services
- Agile team using Scrum or Kanban using the Atlassian stack (JIRA, Confluence, BitBucket)
- Moving to a Microservices architecture using Kafka for messaging and currently implementing other patterns
- Continuous Integration and Delivery using Jenkins, SonarQube, New Relic, Docker,Terraform
- Test Driven Development environment with a focus on testing and quality output
- Reporting and Analytics using Pentaho
- Competitive base salary
- Company stock options package
- Eligible for discretionary annual bonus
- Health insurance
- 25 days of paid vacation time in addition to national holidays
- Shared office space with a great working environment and a flexible approach to work
- You will love what you do – waking up every day solving one of the biggest social problems of our generation
- Committed team members with broad experience who share a common passion to build a world-class business