Full Stack Developer
Food waste is a $1 trillion problem – costing the world over 1% of global GDP. We’re dead set on solving the problem and looking for people to help us achieve our mission. We, at Winnow, believe that food is far too valuable to waste, and that technology can transform the way we produce food. Our team is made of people who all share a passion for food and technology.
Winnow was founded in London in 2013 to help the hospitality industry prevent food waste through internet of things tools in the kitchen. We have worked with hundreds of sites and are operating in over 25 countries around the world supported by our offices in London and Singapore. We are a rapidly growing company with a strong base of clients who are rolling out our system globally. We have blue-chip customers including Accor Hotels, IHG, Marriott, Compass Group and many others.
This is an opportunity to join one of Wired’s top 100 start-ups in Europe and help us propel our growth at what is truly the most exciting and dynamic points in time in our business.
Winnow’s clients on average reduce waste by over 50% by value and sustain savings.Winnow has now worked with hundreds of sites to reduce food waste, including hotels, universities and schools, staff restaurants, event/hospitality kitchens, buffets, pubs, and high street restaurants. Where the system is permanently adopted, pre-consumer waste value is reduced by 50% - 70% over 2 - 12 months, and maintained at these levels, with no detrimental impact to the perceived quality or value of the offer to their customers, and a net saving of staff time due to reduced food preparation and waste handling. This represents a typical improvement of food cost savings of 3% to 8%, commonly a 40%+ increase in profitability for restaurants. Watch our short videos on our YouTube channel to see the system in action.
This job offers a unique opportunity to become involved in a rapidly growing start-up focused on sustainability. We have an open culture and believe in a hierarchy of ideas and results rather than titles. We share a common desire to learn and improve and give individuals freedom to help us shape how our business will grow. You will work alongside a driven team who are motivated by building an exciting business and leaving the world a better place than we found it.
About the role
We are looking for a full stack web application developer with good architecture skills to join our technology team. We develop and manage our own platform and we use a variety of server-side and client-side technologies. Our favourite candidates are software developers that follow best practices in terms of solutions and architecture, have experience in working with diverse technology stacks and are willing to take ownership and care of the product. As our company is reaching a grown-up phase and we are hoping our candidates can drive excellence. Agile is the process we use to manage our work flow.
Here’s a winnowed list of technologies used to achieve our day to day goals.
Version control system: Git, BitBucket
Server side: Node.js, Java
Database: MySQL, (PostgreSQL)
Build systems: CircleCI, (Jenkins)
Task automation: Grunt
Project management: Jira
Your day to day will be working together with other team members to reach 2-week sprint goals. As a senior member of the development team, and a full stack developer, we expect you to see the big architectural picture. You will know how decisions in one layer impact the entire stack. You will know what good architecture looks like and be able to argue the pros and cons of architectural decisions, mentoring the team to make the right choices.
Typical responsibilities of a team member are:
- Designing technical solutions out of business requirements
- Working together with team members to deliver technical solutions
- Code review delivered solutions
- Work with QA to verify the solutions
- Maintain the product by correcting existing and future software bugs
- Suggest and implement automated tests for the current and future product state
- Deploy solutions to live environments
Education and experience:
- Masters or Bachelor’s degree in computer science or any related field with emphases on information technology is preferred
- Experience working as a web application developer in Agile environment
- Solid appreciation of systems architecture required for stable, scale-able systems
- Experience in starting and managing projects from scratch
- Practical knowledge on before mentioned list of technologies
- Experience working with various software development practices
- Ability to maintain a predictable and reliable schedule for delivery
- You share our belief that collaboration is critical in to achieving our mission. You are passionate for improving the way kitchens work and for reducing food waste
- You are comfortable taking ownership and accountability for your work whilst working effectively as part of a larger team
- You have experience working as part of a global team and building positive relationships with internal and external individuals across borders
- Excellent attention to detail and a meticulous eye for identifying inconsistencies or inaccuracies in data
- You are transparent and act with integrity at all times
- Competitive base salary
- Life insurance (3 times base salary)
- Employee assistance programme
- Company part-funded health insurance
- Matching pension scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- 25 days of paid vacation time in addition to national holidays
- You will love what you do – waking up every day solving one of the biggest social problems of our generation
- Committed team members with broad experience who share a common passion to build a world class business
- Great office space in central London with free happy hours and a great working environment