Senior Back End Developer
Food waste is a $1 trillion problem – costing the world over 1% of global GDP. We’re dead set on solving the problem and looking for people to help us achieve our mission. We, at Winnow, believe that food is far too valuable to waste, and that technology can transform the way we produce food. Our team is made of people who all share a passion for food and technology.
Winnow was founded in London in 2013 to help the hospitality industry prevent food waste through internet of things tools in the kitchen. We have worked with hundreds of sites and are operating in over 25 countries around the world supported by our offices in London and Singapore. We are a rapidly growing company with a strong base of clients who are rolling out our system globally. We have blue-chip customers including Accor Hotels, IHG, Marriott, Compass Group and many others.
This is an opportunity to join one of Wired’s top 100 start-ups in Europe and help us propel our growth at what is truly the most exciting and dynamic points in time in our business.
Winnow’s clients on average reduce waste by over 50% by value and sustain savings.Winnow has now worked with hundreds of sites to reduce food waste, including hotels, universities and schools, staff restaurants, event/hospitality kitchens, buffets, pubs, and high street restaurants. Where the system is permanently adopted, pre-consumer waste value is reduced by 50% - 70% over 2 - 12 months, and maintained at these levels, with no detrimental impact to the perceived quality or value of the offer to their customers, and a net saving of staff time due to reduced food preparation and waste handling. This represents a typical improvement of food cost savings of 3% to 8%, commonly a 40%+ increase in profitability for restaurants. Watch our short videos on our YouTube channel to see the system in action.
This job offers a unique opportunity to become involved in a rapidly growing start-up focused on sustainability. We have an open culture and believe in a hierarchy of ideas and results rather than titles. We share a common desire to learn and improve and give individuals freedom to help us shape how our business will grow. You will work alongside a driven team who are motivated by building an exciting business and leaving the world a better place than we found it.
Winnow are now hiring to expand their software development team. We are one of the fastest growing technology businesses in the UK. We are a business on a mission to reduce food waste. We are investing in some exciting technology to make this happen. We get a kick out of helping our blue-chip customers and the world prevent food waste through great products and services. Our team have the kind of culture, alignment, energy, and passion you read articles about. If that sounds like something you want to be a part of, today is the day to get in touch. Us:
- Passionate about technology and innovation
- Agile throughout the organisation
- Moving fast to test-driven development and continuous delivery
- Product stack spans from mobile apps to Linux-powered hardware in the field and everything powered by our software written in various computer languages (Java, Python, Node.js and others) using a number AWS services.
- Eager to push the boundaries to achieve our mission using Machine Learning and Computer Vision.
- Are a hands-on software engineer eager to join a team developing pioneering products with cutting-edge technologies pushing the boundaries of what is possible with traditional programming and Machine Learning..
- Are an existing Team Lead or senior developer ready for their first Team Leader position working with both local and remote team members and building great products that help reduce food waste.
- Have a solid understanding of programming (not just using frameworks, extensions and plugins but understanding what they do, how they work and if needed build/extend them)
- Can program using at least two programming languages - one of them being Java, Node,js or Python) and eager to expand skills when needed to complete a project.
- Have a solid understanding of concepts like Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery, Code Coverage, Code Quality, Test Driven Development, Unit Testing, and Integration Testing.
- Are passionate about TDD, thinking how to test and are not trying to ‘escape’ writing Unit or Integration tests. Each developer in Winnow is responsible and accountable for their delivered work.
- Able to estimate effort to deliver and deliver on your commitment.
- Have experience working with tools like JIRA and Confluence in a fully Agile environment using Jenkins as the CI tool.
- Understanding of DevOps tools like Docker, Terraform and Ansible a plus.
- Want to prototype solutions using new cutting-edge technologies and present them to the team (or to the world)
- Passionate to engage in our mission to reduce food waste
- Comfortable in a fast-moving small company environment where things change
- A good communicator with both technical and non-technical people and can work with both local and remote team members
- Competitive base salary
- Life insurance (3 times base salary)
- Employee assistance programme
- Company part-funded health insurance
- Matching pension scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- 25 days of paid vacation time in addition to national holidays
- You will love what you do – waking up every day solving one of the biggest social problems of our generation
- Committed team members with broad experience who share a common passion to build a world class business
- Great office space in central London with free happy hours and a great working environment