Business Development Manager - Nordics
Food waste is a $1 trillion problem – costing the world over 1% of global GDP. We’re set on solving the problem and looking for people to help us achieve our mission. We, at Winnow, believe that food is too valuable to waste, and that technology can transform the way we manage food. Our team is made of people who all share a passion for food and technology.
Winnow was founded in London in 2013 to help the hospitality industry prevent food waste through internet of things tools in the kitchen. We have worked with hundreds of sites and today are operating in over 25 countries around the world supported by our offices in London, Dubai, Shanghai, Singapore and the US. We are a rapidly growing company with a strong base of clients who are rolling out our system globally. We have blue-chip customers including IKEA, Accor Hotels, IHG, Compass Group, Carnival Cruises and many others.
This is an opportunity to join one of Wired’s top 100 start-ups in Europe and help us propel our growth at what is truly the most exciting and dynamic points in time in our business.
Winnow’s clients on average reduce waste by over 50% by value and sustain savings
Winnow has now worked with hundreds of sites to reduce food waste, including hotels, universities and schools, staff restaurants, event/hospitality kitchens, buffets, pubs, cruise ships, and high street restaurants. Where the system is permanently adopted, pre-consumer waste value is reduced by 50% - 70% over 2 - 12 months, and maintained at these levels, with no detrimental impact to the perceived quality or value of the offer to their customers, and a net saving of staff time due to reduced food preparation and waste handling. This represents a typical improvement of food cost savings of 3% to 8%, commonly a 40%+ increase in profitability for restaurants. Watch our videos on our YouTube channel to see the system in action.
Are you passionate, pragmatic, pioneering, collaborative, helpful and honest?
We are passionate about what we do and have a strong set of values as an organization. We are looking for you to come in and lead our business development efforts in the Nordics. You will be part of a growing team and will work alongside the CEO and Commercial Director to help grow our top line while setting the ground work for scaling our business in the Nordic region.
This job offers a unique opportunity to become involved in one of the hottest areas of sustainability, within a rapidly growing start-up. We have an open culture and believe in a hierarchy of ideas and results rather than titles. We share a common desire to learn and improve and give individuals freedom to help us shape how our business will grow.
About the role
In response to increased levels of interest from customers and prospects across the Nordic region, we are looking for the right person to join our team and further scale the business in Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Finland. Your responsibility will be to help deliver on our business development goals, secure the next set of major clients for our business, and grow existing accounts in the region. Current clients in the Nordics include hotel chains, such as Scandic Hotels, contract catering companies, such ISS, as well as other well-known multinational businesses, such as IKEA.
This role is preferably based in London; however, for the right candidate, there is also the option to be based in Sweden, with regular travel to the UK during the first six months of the role.
- Work alongside a driven team, dually motivated by building an exciting business and leaving the world a better place than we found it
- Deliver new business through running large scale pilots with major customers and converting them into broader rollouts across their estates
- Develop deep relationships with key influencers in the market to help build a demand for our product both with primary buyers (e.g., contract caterers, hoteliers, cruise liners) and their customers (e.g., major corporates, facilities services consultants)
- Develop strategies for winning and growing our business with major clients, ensuring we obtain the buy-in of the full decision making unit
- Nurture new accounts, highlighting early successes and advocating for scaling of our technology across their business
- Expand existing accounts, building on past successes to roll out across entire portfolios
- Identify routes into our target clients and build CxO-level relationships
- Experience in enterprise technology sales, with a track record of closing enterprise-wide deals with large corporates
- Experience in a high-performing sales team with a proven track record of exceeding sales targets
- Track record in building successful relationships at all levels, from CEO to analyst
- A proven team player, with a natural tendency to collaborate with others
- Solid grasp of financial analysis to build clear a business case for our clients
- A strong drive, work ethic, and constant desire to improve
- Passionate about sales techniques and processes
- Passion for sustainability and reducing food waste
- Experience selling to hospitality, primarily hotels and contract catering a plus
- Experience in commercialising new technologies, including running pilots and delivering trial projects, an advantage
- International experience desirable
- Graduate preferred
- Postgraduate qualifications in environmental and/or business disciplines an advantage
- Language requirements: fluency in English and at least one Scandinavian language (preferably Swedish and/or Norwegian); other European languages a distinct advantage
- Competitive base salary, commensurate with experience
- Participation in sales commission scheme
- Opportunity to lead on new business in the Nordic region, with one of Europe's most exciting sustainability tech innovations
- Life insurance (3 times base salary)
- Employee assistance programme
- Company part-funded health insurance
- Matching pension scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- 25 days of paid vacation time in addition to national holidays
- You will love what you do – waking up every day solving one of the biggest social problems of our generation
- Committed team members with broad experience who share a common passion to build a world-class business
- Great office space in central London with free happy hours and a great working environment