Operations Internship, ARABIC speaker required
Food waste is a $1 trillion problem – costing the world over 1% of global GDP. We’re dead set on solving the problem and looking for people to help us achieve our mission. We, at Winnow, believe that food is far too valuable to waste, and that technology can transform the way we produce food. Our team is made of people who all share a passion for food and technology.
Winnow was founded in London in 2013 to help the hospitality industry prevent food waste through internet of things tools in the kitchen. We have worked with hundreds of sites and are operating in over 30 countries around the world supported by our offices in London, Dubai, Shanghai, Singapore, Romania and North America. We are a rapidly growing company with a strong base of clients who are rolling out our system globally. We have blue-chip customers including Accor Hotels, IKEA, IHG, Marriott, Compass Group and many others.
Winnow’s clients on average reduce waste by over 50% by value and sustain savings. Winnow has now worked with hundreds of sites to reduce food waste, including hotels, universities and schools, staff restaurants, event/hospitality kitchens, buffets, pubs, and high street restaurants. Where the system is permanently adopted, pre-consumer waste value is reduced by 50% - 70% with no detrimental impact to the perceived quality or value of the offer to their customers. This represents a typical improvement of food cost savings of 3% to 8%, commonly a 40%+ increase in profitability for operations.
As the global leader in addressing food waste, we are committed to continue pushing the envelope on what technology can do to solve this problem. Winnow Vision, our new artificial intelligence-based technology, is trained to automatically track all food waste thrown away. It has won awards at the World Economic Forum and has been received tremendous enthusiasm from our clients and the industry. You can read more about it on our website and this article in Forbes.
We are passionate about living our values and place them at the centre of everything we do. We are excited about likeminded talent who share these values, joining us in our mission:
Equal parts head and heart. We’re both passionate and measured. We carefully balance the need for quick solutions and pragmatism with the ability to step back, take in the bigger picture and build for the long term.
Bravely honest. With each other, that means we’re a transparent organisation where healthy, respectful debate is encouraged. With our customers, we challenge them if we don’t think they’re achieving their goals, whether they be environmental or financial.
People of action. Done is better than perfect, and we learn by boldly doing then rapidly improving. We’re breaking new ground, so we know things might go wrong. But we judge ourselves and each other on our reaction and our resilience.
Bound by food. We’re a diverse bunch, but our belief in the value of food is the common thread in everything we do. With each other, we celebrate through our love and respect for food. With our customers, it means we work hard to develop creative tools to make it easy for chefs to value food.
Hungry and humble. Our product is revolutionary, our people are impressive, and we’re hungry for change. But, we’re just the catalyst for a bigger movement. We stay humble regardless of our success, and make chefs the heroes in this journey.
This is an opportunity to join a rapidly growing start-up (and one of Wired’s top 100 start-ups in Europe) and help us propel our growth at what is truly the most exciting and dynamic points in time in our business. You will work alongside a driven team who are motivated by building an exciting business and leaving the world a better place than we found it.
We are passionate about what we do and have a strong set of values as an organisation. We are looking for you to come in and support our operations team in Dubai. You will be part of a small but growing team and will help us grow our impact across the UAE.
This internship offers a unique opportunity to become involved in one of the hottest areas of sustainability, within a rapidly growing start-up. We have an open culture and believe in a hierarchy of ideas and results rather than titles. We share a common desire to learn and improve and give individuals freedom to help us shape how our business will grow.
Key objectives of role:
The full scope of your role will be discussed in detail at interview, however typical tasks might include:
- Review and validate data and reports from kitchens using our technology
- Assemble metrics for weekly and monthly internal KPIs
- Be part of our front line technical and customer support team for clients
- Manage material stock levels and the assembly of our system for clients
- Support site system set up, including account management and menu set up
This internship should be seen as an amazing opportunity for you to join our organisation - many of our former interns are now full-time staff in the organisation and growing alongside us as we scale. If you prove yourself invaluable in our internship and demonstrate a real hunger to succeed alongside us, there will always be opportunities to join our team, and potential to take equity in the company.
Education and experience
- Candidates are likely to be degree educated
- Either experience in hospitality or working in kitchens considered a big plus
- Candidates should be experienced in using data management tools such as Excel to extract and analyse data
- You share our belief that collaboration is critical in to achieving our mission. You can demonstrate how you have thrived working effectively in partnership with others
- You have proven experience in challenging and questioning the status quo. You enjoy suggesting creative and innovative solutions to improve the way things get done
- You are transparent and act with integrity at all times
- You are results driven and can demonstrate how you have delivered value add solutions which are intuitive and easy to use
- You are passionate about your career. You proactively stay abreast of developments in your own field of study whilst being driven and committed to helping the organisation achieve it’s mission
- Proven experience of knowing what it takes to provide consistently first-class customer service to customers, remaining calm and measured even when dealing with the most demanding of individuals
- Excellent attention to detail and a meticulous eye for identifying inconsistencies or inaccuracies in data. You take your time to ensure you get things right first time
- Able to organise self, including effective project management and scheduling, prioritisation and time management skills, managing multiple tasks in parallel and completing tasks to tight deadlines
- Demonstrates excellent communication skills. You are a confident and articulate presenter. You communicate clearly in both written and spoken language. You listen attentively; you process and comprehend what you hear. You are also confident enough to ask questions and to clarify ambiguous points
- The possibility of growing into a permanent position
- Committed team members with broad experience who share a common passion to build a world class business
- Office space in Dubai with a great working environment
- You will love what you do – waking up every day solving one of the biggest social problems of our generation