Account Manager (maternity cover)
Food waste is a $1 trillion problem – costing the world over 1% of global GDP. We’re dead set on solving the problem and looking for people to help us achieve our mission. We, at Winnow, believe that food is far too valuable to waste, and that technology can transform the way we produce food. Our team is made of people who all share a passion for food and technology.
Winnow was founded in London in 2013 to help the hospitality industry prevent food waste through internet of things tools in the kitchen. We have worked with hundreds of sites and are operating in over 25 countries around the world supported by our offices in London, Dubai, Shanghai and Singapore. We are a rapidly growing company with a strong base of clients who are rolling out our system globally. We have blue-chip customers including Accor Hotels, IKEA, IHG, Marriott, Compass Group and many others.
Winnow’s clients on average reduce waste by over 50% by value and sustain savings. Winnow has now worked with hundreds of sites to reduce food waste, including hotels, universities and schools, staff restaurants, event/hospitality kitchens, buffets, pubs, and high street restaurants. Where the system is permanently adopted, pre-consumer waste value is reduced by 50% - 70% over 2 - 12 months, and maintained at these levels, with no detrimental impact to the perceived quality or value of the offer to their customers, and a net saving of staff time due to reduced food preparation and waste handling. This represents a typical improvement of food cost savings of 3% to 8%, commonly a 40%+ increase in profitability for restaurants. Watch our short videos on our YouTube channel to see the system in action.
We are passionate about living our values and place them at the centre of everything we do. We are excited about likeminded talent who share these values, joining us in our mission:
Equal parts head and heart. We’re both passionate and measured. We carefully balance the need for quick solutions and pragmatism with the ability to step back, take in the bigger picture and build for the long term.
Bravely honest. With each other, that means we’re a transparent organisation where healthy, respectful debate is encouraged. With our customers, we challenge them if we don’t think they’re achieving their goals, whether they be environmental or financial.
People of action. Done is better than perfect, and we learn by boldly doing then rapidly improving. We’re breaking new ground, so we know things might go wrong. But we judge ourselves and each other on our reaction and our resilience.
Bound by food. We’re a diverse bunch, but our belief in the value of food is the common thread in everything we do. With each other, we celebrate through our love and respect for food. With our customers, it means we work hard to develop creative tools to make it easy for chefs to value food.
Hungry and humble. Our product is revolutionary, our people are impressive, and we’re hungry for change. But, we’re just the catalyst for a bigger movement. We stay humble regardless of our success, and make chefs the heroes in this journey.
This is an opportunity to join a rapidly growing start-up (and one of Wired’s top 100 start-ups in Europe) and help us propel our growth at what is truly the most exciting and dynamic points in time in our business. You will work alongside a driven team who are motivated by building an exciting business and leaving the world a better place than we found it.
About the role
An exciting opportunity exists for an experienced Account Manager to join the Winnow team and drive growth within the European hotel segment. The role will focus on a number of key accounts, with the remit to own the growth strategy and build action-oriented account plans driving growth across the sector.
Typically, these accounts will have been through an initial successful pilot phase; the first task for the Account Manager is to create momentum behind these successes and execute the roll-out plan engaging and partnering with the right stakeholders within those key accounts.
The account manager will own the strategy for each account and will work tactically with other internal Winnow functions, such as the Operations team, the Business Development team and the Data Services team, plus any relevant resellers or partners, to maximise the potential for growth across the business.
With significant opportunity to expand established accounts, this role will suit a self-starter looking to take ownership of a portfolio of customers.
- Manage accounts identified to have a significant growth opportunity and expand Winnow’s reach within these accounts
- Nurture existing relationships to increase retention rates and improve overall performance of the accounts
- Create a plan of action for each account and work with the sales and operations team to co-deliver the plan
- Help to evidence positive ROI and create proposals to build on past success to roll-out across entire portfolios
- Help the client build a governance structure that will ensure Winnow is a core part of the client’s organisation (including running QBRs)
- Develop deep relationships with key influencers and full decision-making units to help build additional demand for our products
- Manage and solve any conflicts or challenges which arise ensuring customers are communicated to on a regular and transparent basis
- Act as the key communications interface between the customer and relevant Winnow teams
Education and experience
- The selected candidate is likely to be degree educated
- He/she will have a proven track record as an Account or Business Development Manager, and will have led on growing both global and complex accounts
- He/she will have experience of strategic account planning, identifying and analysing key stakeholders, mapping decision making units, setting growth targets and creating activity plans
- He/she will have demonstrable examples of hand-on delivery of the strategic plans
- He/she will ideally have experience of growing sales within the hospitality, hotels or contract catering industry
- He/she will have worked other high-performing teams who have exceeded their targets
- Some experience in commercialising new technologies, including running pilots and delivering trial projects, a distinct advantage
- He/she will share our belief that collaboration is critical in to achieving our mission
- He/she is passionate about sustainability and motivated by solving one of the biggest environmental challenges of our age
- He/she is results-driven and can demonstrate how they have delivered solutions for a similar type of business
- He/she has excellent attention to detail and a meticulous eye for identifying inconsistencies or inaccuracies in data
- He/she has a solid grasp of financial analysis to build clear a business case for our clients
- He/she will have proven experience of knowing what it takes to provide consistently first-class customer service to external customers, remaining calm and measured even when dealing with the most demanding individuals and accounts
- He/she prefers to take a collaborative approach with colleagues to ensure they always achieve the best results for customers
- He/she will have experience working as part of a global team and building positive relationships with internal and external individual across borders
- He/she must be fluent in English with other European languages a distinct advantage
- He/she is persuasive and personable and find building relationships with customers enjoyable
- He/she is transparent and acts with integrity at all times
- Some European travel may be required
- Compensation commensurate with experience
- Life insurance
- Company part-funded health insurance
- Matching pension scheme
- Employee assistance programme
- Eyecare vouchers
- 25 days of paid vacation time in addition to national holidays
- The opportunity to love what you do – waking up every day solving one of the biggest social problems of our generation
- Committed team members with broad experience who share a common passion to build a world class business
- Shared office space in central London with free happy hours and a great working environment