Shared Services Manager (Operations)
Food waste is a $1 trillion problem – costing the world over 1% of global GDP. We’re dead set on solving the problem and looking for people to help us achieve our mission. We, at Winnow, believe that food is far too valuable to waste, and that technology can transform the way we produce food. Our team is made of people who all share a passion for food and technology.
Winnow was founded in London in 2013 to help the hospitality industry prevent food waste through internet of things tools in the kitchen. We have worked with hundreds of sites and are operating in over 30 countries around the world supported by our offices in London, Dubai, Shanghai, Singapore, Romania and North America. We are a rapidly growing company with a strong base of clients who are rolling out our system globally. We have blue-chip customers including Accor Hotels, IKEA, IHG, Marriott, Compass Group and many others.
Winnow’s clients on average reduce waste by over 50% by value and sustain savings. Winnow has now worked with hundreds of sites to reduce food waste, including hotels, universities and schools, staff restaurants, event/hospitality kitchens, buffets, pubs, and high street restaurants. Where the system is permanently adopted, pre-consumer waste value is reduced by 50% - 70% with no detrimental impact to the perceived quality or value of the offer to their customers. This represents a typical improvement of food cost savings of 3% to 8%, commonly a 40%+ increase in profitability for operations.
As the global leader in addressing food waste, we are committed to continue pushing the envelope on what technology can do to solve this problem. Winnow Vision, our new artificial intelligence-based technology, is trained to automatically track all food waste thrown away. It has won awards at the World Economic Forum and has been received tremendous enthusiasm from our clients and the industry. You can read more about it on our website and this article in Forbes.
We are passionate about living our values and place them at the centre of everything we do. We are excited about like-minded talent who share these values, joining us in our mission:
- Equal parts head and heart. We’re both passionate and measured. We carefully balance the need for quick solutions and pragmatism with the ability to step back, take in the bigger picture and build for the long term.
- Bravely honest. With each other, that means we’re a transparent organisation where healthy, respectful debate is encouraged. With our customers, we challenge them if we don’t think they’re achieving their goals, whether they be environmental or financial.
- People of action. Done is better than perfect, and we learn by boldly doing then rapidly improving. We’re breaking new ground, so we know things might go wrong. But we judge ourselves and each other on our reaction and our resilience.
- Bound by food. We’re a diverse bunch, but our belief in the value of food is the common thread in everything we do. With each other, we celebrate through our love and respect for food. With our customers, it means we work hard to develop creative tools to make it easy for chefs to value food.
- Hungry and humble. Our product is revolutionary, our people are impressive, and we’re hungry for change. But, we’re just the catalyst for a bigger movement. We stay humble regardless of our success, and make chefs the heroes in this journey.
About Operations team
The Operations team are responsible for the on-boarding and implementation of our technology across new customers, as well as ensuring on-going success once the system is up and running on client sites. The goal – successful pilots with early clients, such that they quickly become key clients deploying our technology on a national and international scale.
The team manage the processes, systems and controls which enable our business to successfully scale and grow. The team continually review these processes to provide innovative enhancements to achieve operational excellence, which in turn enable the company to meet its strategic objectives.
Our Operations team consist of over 27 colleagues who are based in London, Dubai, Singapore, Shanghai and the US.
About the Role
Reporting into the Head of European Operations, the Shared Services Manager will be heading a team and tasked with transforming the function into a world-class global department.
Shared Services consists of three sub-functions made up of 5 team members who are based in Cluj and in London:
- Materials (including procurement of hardware, assembly, shipping, and vendor management)
- Customer Support
- Menu building (adding customers menu data to systems)
Develop the systems and processes of our global materials function so that it is ready for scale taking all of the following into consideration:
- Continuously challenging thinking and processes to drive efficiencies in the supply chain globally
- Driving hardware cost optimization whilst ensuring quality and SLA are not being compromised
- Tracking and analysing performance to set/meet KPIs and providing the Operation & Product teams with business insights
Develop the systems and processes of our customer support function so that it is ready for scale, taking the following into consideration:
- Customer feedback so we can continuously develop and improve our products and services
- Our customers, goals, aspirations, and challenges and how we can best communicate with them according to their preferences
- Our performance using data to monitor our KPIs and SLAs
- Delivering excellent customer service reflected in top NPS scores
- Over time, centralise regional customer support functions into one global team
Optimise customer menu building and maintenance processes so that it is ready for scale:
- Embed standards that are followed consistently globally
- Ensure high quality customer friendly menus are delivered on time
- Over time, centralise regional menu support into one global team
International travel (initially London) will be required as part of this role.
Education and experience
- You are likely to be degree educated
- You have both passion for and experience of Operations
- You have proven experience in driving change, developing and implementing operational processes while working closely with the commercial side of the business
- You have experience working as part of a global team and building positive relationships with internal and external individuals across borders
- You have proven experience in managing people (ideally in geographically diverse locations)
- With excellent communications skills you will be able to challenge, influence and persuade others
- Build excellent rapport with clients and suppliers
- You are results driven and highly motivated. You are a data driven person who can use data to drive decisions
- You will be able to respond to customer complaints in a caring professional manner
- Proactive in your approach and flexible to cope with various demands
- You are able to organise self, including effective scheduling, prioritisation and time management skills, managing multiple tasks in parallel and completing tasks to tight deadlines
- You understand how to manage change and ambiguity and are happy to get your hands dirty
- You understand Operation role as key in enabling the business
- English and ideally one or two other languages
Our shared attributes
- You are both passionate and measured. You carefully balance the need for quick solutions and pragmatism with the ability to step back, take in the bigger picture and build for the long term
- You are transparent in approach and enjoy healthy, respectful debate. You work hard to build open and honest collaborative relationships
- You get things done and seek to continually improve. Your customers want you on their team
- You are passionate about the value of food and are committed to the fight against food waste
- You are humble in approach and quick to pitch in if you see someone struggling
- Competitive base salary
- Life insurance
- Company part-funded health insurance
- Matching pension scheme
- Employee assistance programme
- Childcare voucher scheme
- Eyecare vouchers
- 25 days of paid vacation time (plus the option to buy a further 5 days annual leave) in addition to national holidays
- You will love what you do – waking up every day solving one of the biggest social problems of our generation
- Committed team members with broad experience who share a common passion to build a world class business
- Shared office space in central London with free happy hours and a great working environment