Business Development Intern
About this role
Exciting opportunities exist for driven and motivated interns to join a rapidly growing tech start up. Internships last for 6 months with the potential to become permanent. The role is to start immediately in September, 2018.
Due to the continued growth of Winnow in the MENA region, we are looking for a business development intern to support our sales team. The successful post-holder will play a critical role in partnership with the team, enabling them to deliver their targets.
This is a varied role requiring someone with exceptional communication skills, administrative ability and the confidence to represent the company and liaise with clients and senior stakeholders within the business.
Food waste is a $1 trillion problem – costing the world over 1% of global GDP. We’re dead set on solving the problem and looking for people to help us achieve our mission. We, at Winnow, believe that food is far too valuable to waste, and that technology can transform the way we produce food. Our team is made of people who all share a passion for food and technology.
Winnow was founded in London in 2013 to help the hospitality industry prevent food waste through internet of things tools in the kitchen. We have worked with hundreds of sites and are operating in over 25 countries around the world supported by our offices in London, Dubai, Shanghai and Singapore. We are a rapidly growing company with a strong base of clients who are rolling out our system globally. We have blue-chip customers including Accor Hotels, IKEA, IHG, Marriott, Compass Group and many others.
Winnow’s clients on average reduce waste by over 50% by value and sustain savings. Winnow has now worked with hundreds of sites to reduce food waste, including hotels, universities and schools, staff restaurants, event/hospitality kitchens, buffets, pubs, and high street restaurants. Where the system is permanently adopted, pre-consumer waste value is reduced by 50% - 70% over 2 - 12 months, and maintained at these levels, with no detrimental impact to the perceived quality or value of the offer to their customers, and a net saving of staff time due to reduced food preparation and waste handling. This represents a typical improvement of food cost savings of 3% to 8%, commonly a 40%+ increase in profitability for restaurants. Watch our short videos on our YouTube channel to see the system in action.
We are passionate about living our values and place them at the centre of everything we do. We are excited about likeminded talent who share these values, joining us in our mission:
Equal parts head and heart. We’re both passionate and measured. We carefully balance the need for quick solutions and pragmatism with the ability to step back, take in the bigger picture and build for the long term.
Bravely honest. With each other, that means we’re a transparent organisation where healthy, respectful debate is encouraged. With our customers, we challenge them if we don’t think they’re achieving their goals, whether they be environmental or financial.
People of action. Done is better than perfect, and we learn by boldly doing then rapidly improving. We’re breaking new ground, so we know things might go wrong. But we judge ourselves and each other on our reaction and our resilience.
Bound by food. We’re a diverse bunch, but our belief in the value of food is the common thread in everything we do. With each other, we celebrate through our love and respect for food. With our customers, it means we work hard to develop creative tools to make it easy for chefs to value food.
Hungry and humble. Our product is revolutionary, our people are impressive, and we’re hungry for change. But, we’re just the catalyst for a bigger movement. We stay humble regardless of our success, and make chefs the heroes in this journey.
This is an opportunity to join a rapidly growing start-up (and one of Wired’s top 100 start-ups in Europe) and help us propel our growth at what is truly the most exciting and dynamic points in time in our business. You will work alongside a driven team who are motivated by building an exciting business and leaving the world a better place than we found it.
- Deal with all inbound sales calls, taking new enquiries, working with the Business Development Team and updating the CRM system (Base CRM) accordingly
- Update and generate daily / weekly / monthly / ad hoc reports as required
- Generate new sales leads by following up on inbound marketing leads
- Nurture new leads, highlighting early successes and advocating for scaling of our technology across their business
- Develop strategies for winning and growing our lead generation, ensuring we obtain the buy-in of the full decision-making unit
- Develop new contacts with professionals in the market to help build a demand for our product both with primary buyers (e.g., contract caterers, hoteliers) and their customers (e.g., major corporates, facilities services consultants)
- Set up meetings with prospects (catering companies, hotel chains, restaurants, universities, schools and hospitals)
- Help the team prepare for meetings with prospects, attend those meetings (where feasible) and write detailed meeting notes afterwards
- Work alongside a driven team, dually motivated by building an exciting business and leaving the world a better place than we found it
Education and experience
- You are likely to be degree educated
- You have a good working knowledge of Excel and PowerPoint and are able to manipulate data to present information in an informative and compelling way
- Experience working with a CRM system would be advantageous
- Experience in Business Development/Sales in the UAE is a big plus
- Exposure to the hospitality industry would be advantageous
- European languages, particularly French, Spanish and German, a real plus
- You are results driven and can demonstrate how you have delivered effective solutions in a timely manner
- You have proven experience of knowing what it takes to provide consistently first-class customer service to external customers, remaining calm and measured even when dealing with the most demanding individuals
- You are comfortable taking ownership and accountability for your work whilst working effectively as part of a larger team
- You are persuasive and personable and find building relationships with your customers enjoyable
- You have excellent attention to detail and a meticulous eye for identifying inconsistencies or inaccuracies in data. You take your time to get things right first time
- Able to organise self, including effective scheduling, prioritisation and time management skills, managing multiple tasks in parallel and completing tasks to tight deadlines
- Demonstrates excellent communication skills. You are a confident and articulate presenter. You communicate clearly in both written and spoken language. You listen attentively; you process and comprehend what you hear. You are also confident enough to ask questions and to clarify ambiguous points.
- Track record of identifying problems, analysing options and deploying sound decision making skills.
- You are based in Dubai
- Drivers licence and access to a car would be a plus
Our shared attributes
- You are both passionate and measured. You carefully balance the need for quick solutions and pragmatism with the ability to step back, take in the bigger picture and build for the long term
- You are transparent in approach and enjoy healthy, respectful debate. You work hard to build open and honest collaborative relationships
- You get things done and seek to continually improve. Your customers want you on their team
- You are passionate about the value of food and are committed to the fight against food waste
- You are humble in approach and quick to pitch in if you see someone struggling
- The possibility of growing into a permanent position
- Committed team members with broad experience who share a common passion to build a world class business
- Shared office space in Dubai with a great working environment
- You will love what you do – waking up every day solving one of the biggest social problems of our generation