CTO (Chief Technology Officer)
Food waste is a $1 trillion problem – costing the world over 1% of global GDP. We’re dead set on solving the problem and looking for people to help us achieve our mission. We, at Winnow, believe that food is far too valuable to waste, and that technology can transform the way we produce food. Our team is made of people who all share a passion for food and technology.
Winnow was founded in London in 2013 to help the hospitality industry prevent food waste through internet of things tools in the kitchen. We have worked with hundreds of sites and are operating in over 25 countries around the world supported by our offices in London, Dubai, Shanghai and Singapore. We are a rapidly growing company with a strong base of clients who are rolling out our system globally. We have blue-chip customers including Accor Hotels, IKEA, IHG, Marriott, Compass Group and many others.
Winnow’s clients on average reduce waste by over 50% by value and sustain savings. Winnow has now worked with hundreds of sites to reduce food waste, including hotels, universities and schools, staff restaurants, event/hospitality kitchens, buffets, pubs, and high street restaurants. Where the system is permanently adopted, pre-consumer waste value is reduced by 50% - 70% over 2 - 12 months, and maintained at these levels, with no detrimental impact to the perceived quality or value of the offer to their customers, and a net saving of staff time due to reduced food preparation and waste handling. This represents a typical improvement of food cost savings of 3% to 8%, commonly a 40%+ increase in profitability for restaurants. Watch our short videos on our YouTube channel to see the system in action.
We are passionate about living our values and place them at the centre of everything we do. We are excited about likeminded talent who share these values, joining us in our mission:
Equal parts head and heart. We’re both passionate and measured. We carefully balance the need for quick solutions and pragmatism with the ability to step back, take in the bigger picture and build for the long term.
Bravely honest. With each other, that means we’re a transparent organisation where healthy, respectful debate is encouraged. With our customers, we challenge them if we don’t think they’re achieving their goals, whether they be environmental or financial.
People of action. Done is better than perfect, and we learn by boldly doing then rapidly improving. We’re breaking new ground, so we know things might go wrong. But we judge ourselves and each other on our reaction and our resilience.
Bound by food. We’re a diverse bunch, but our belief in the value of food is the common thread in everything we do. With each other, we celebrate through our love and respect for food. With our customers, it means we work hard to develop creative tools to make it easy for chefs to value food.
Hungry and humble. Our product is revolutionary, our people are impressive, and we’re hungry for change. But, we’re just the catalyst for a bigger movement. We stay humble regardless of our success, and make chefs the heroes in this journey.
This is an opportunity to join a rapidly growing start-up (and one of Wired’s top 100 start-ups in Europe) and help us propel our growth at what is truly the most exciting and dynamic points in time in our business. You will work alongside a driven team who are motivated by building an exciting business and leaving the world a better place than we found it.
About the role
As you’d expect with any fast growing start-up, you’ll enjoy a wide variety of responsibilities. Working closely with the Founders of the company (London-based), you’ll lead the tech team, helping to define and execute the strategic direction of the business. You won’t be afraid to roll up your sleeves and help unblock colleagues at the ground level. You’ll provide direction and decision making on what technologies to use, the architecture of the platforms and best technical practices to follow.
You’ll be expected to take a keen interest in industry trends and new technologies and help evaluate and incorporate them into the business moving forward to make sure it remains an environment of innovation. You will manage and develop a growing global team (50% local, 50% remote), and you will be responsible for structure and organisation of the team ensuring it is set up for successful delivery of the long-term business strategy.
- Spearhead development projects to increase our market reach and improve our USP
- Oversee and participate in all system design and system architecture efforts
- Recruit, manage, lead, and inspire teams of global developers to deliver world-class product
- Estimate and track budget related to projects, technology selection, resource management
- Evaluate current and new technology and recommend improvements in stack or architecture
- Make build or buy decisions on project delivery
- Automate low value activities in the work stream to improve our efficiency
- Track and monitor performance metric of our development team and our deployed software
- Mentor and grow team on technology and other work-related aspects
- Deliver quality applications and services
- Maintain current knowledge of technology landscape and developments, taking the initiative to drive innovation and adoption of best practices
- Develop, direct and test disaster recovery planning, data protection, and security measures
- You are likely to be degree educated having completed studies in a STEM subject
- Ideally you will have been part of a management team at both a mature tech-based business and a start-up, ideally whilst it was going through rapid growth
- You will come from a software development background and importantly you will need a strong understanding of current technologies and best practice – this should not be your first rodeo
- You have led large teams (>25) and have proven experience in getting the best from your team
Education and experience
- We value delivery over theoretical navel gazing. You too should be results driven and can demonstrate how you have delivered effective solutions in a timely manner
- You are comfortable taking ownership and accountability for your work whilst working effectively as part of a larger team
- With proven leadership capabilities, you are able to demonstrate how you have successfully implemented your projects by delegating and delivering through others.
- You have experience working as part of a global team and building positive relationships with teams across borders.
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skill in English. You should confident, persuasive and articulate. You listen attentively and are experienced in building successful relationships at all levels from CEO to junior analyst
- You have proven experience in challenging and questioning the status quo. You enjoy suggesting and implementing creative and innovative solutions to improve the way things get done
- We balance build vs buy and you should have the same mentality, demonstrating you have delivered software with a mix of in-house and contracted resources
- You prioritize ruthlessly – managing your time and that of your teams to deliver on your promises even in tight deadline environments.
- Ability to convince others to expressed point of view and gain acceptance and agreement of plans
- Track record of identifying problems, analysing options and deploying sound decision making skills.
- Motivated and curious, you love absorbing new information and are able to reliably recall and figure out how to rapidly apply it. You have the courage, when appropriate to learn new technology rather than sticking to what you know already.
- You will have experience of road mapping company expansion, helping to establish company vision and you’ll be capable of ensuring a high level of technological innovation.
- You’ll be able to work with and improve processes from technical project scoping through to working with the sales team.
- Competitive base salary
- Life insurance cover (3 times base salary)
- Company part-funded health insurance
- Matching pension scheme
- 25 days of paid vacation time in addition to national holidays
- Employee assistance programme
- You will love what you do – waking up every day solving one of the biggest social problems of our generation
- Shared office space in central London with free happy hours and a great working environment
- Committed team members with broad experience who share a common passion to build a world class business