Database Administrator (DBA)
Food waste is a $1 trillion problem – costing the world over 1% of global GDP. We’re dead set on solving the problem and looking for people to help us achieve our mission. We, at Winnow, believe that food is far too valuable to waste, and that technology can transform the way we produce food. Our team is made of people who all share a passion for food and technology.
Winnow was founded in London in 2013 to help the hospitality industry prevent food waste through internet of things tools in the kitchen. We have worked with hundreds of sites and are operating in over 30 countries around the world supported by our offices in London, Dubai, Shanghai, Singapore, Romania and North America. We are a rapidly growing company with a strong base of clients who are rolling out our system globally. We have blue-chip customers including Accor Hotels, IKEA, IHG, Marriott, Compass Group and many others.
Winnow’s clients on average reduce waste by over 50% by value and sustain savings. Winnow has now worked with hundreds of sites to reduce food waste, including hotels, universities and schools, staff restaurants, event/hospitality kitchens, buffets, pubs, and high street restaurants. Where the system is permanently adopted, pre-consumer waste value is reduced by 50% - 70% with no detrimental impact to the perceived quality or value of the offer to their customers. This represents a typical improvement of food cost savings of 3% to 8%, commonly a 40%+ increase in profitability for operations.
As the global leader in addressing food waste, we are committed to continue pushing the envelope on what technology can do to solve this problem. Winnow Vision, our new artificial intelligence-based technology, is trained to automatically track all food waste thrown away. It has won awards at the World Economic Forum and has been received tremendous enthusiasm from our clients and the industry. You can read more about it on our website and this article in Forbes.
We are passionate about living our values and place them at the centre of everything we do. We are excited about likeminded talent who share these values, joining us in our mission:
Equal parts head and heart. We’re both passionate and measured. We carefully balance the need for quick solutions and pragmatism with the ability to step back, take in the bigger picture and build for the long term.
Bravely honest. With each other, that means we’re a transparent organisation where healthy, respectful debate is encouraged. With our customers, we challenge them if we don’t think they’re achieving their goals, whether they be environmental or financial.
People of action. Done is better than perfect, and we learn by boldly doing then rapidly improving. We’re breaking new ground, so we know things might go wrong. But we judge ourselves and each other on our reaction and our resilience.
Bound by food. We’re a diverse bunch, but our belief in the value of food is the common thread in everything we do. With each other, we celebrate through our love and respect for food. With our customers, it means we work hard to develop creative tools to make it easy for chefs to value food.
Hungry and humble. Our product is revolutionary, our people are impressive, and we’re hungry for change. But, we’re just the catalyst for a bigger movement. We stay humble regardless of our success, and make chefs the heroes in this journey.
About the role
We are looking for a Database Engineer that specialises in the administration of RDBMS. As the successful candidate, you will be passionate about database technologies and you will know inside and out one of Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL hosted in AWS Cloud. Problem-solving, performance tuning and root-cause analysis are second nature to you and you have a knack for platform design, disaster recovery (DR) strategy and automation. You have an eye for continual service improvement and you identify processes that can be enhanced and have the skills to implement them.
- Expert knowledge and skills in the administration of at least one of MySQL, PostgreSQL or Oracle and hands-on experience on at least one other RDBMS
- Experience in administration of databases using both GUI and console.
- Scripting knowledge (bash/csh) and awk/sed and creating scripts from ‘scratch’ and understanding/modifying existing scripts.
- Schema design and data modelling supporting patterns in a microservices architecture
- Performance tuning, query optimization & index tuning
- Backup & restore strategies (and scripting thereof)
- Design & document scalable, secure, highly available database architectures
- Implement monitoring solutions to enable predictive alerting
- Set up and maintain administration & monitoring tools
- Review of change management requests to ensure optimal performance of services
- Research and evaluate new technologies
- Ability and willingness to learn new platforms and technologies
- Teamwork, knowledge transfer, process documentation
- Knowledge of Agile processes and tools such as JIRA
Technology is at the forefront of what we do, and the success of our company is based on our world-class technology and on finding solutions to real-world problems that have not been solved to date. Our current stack includes:
- REST APIs and mobile apps
- Designing and manufacturing IoT ‘smart’ edge devices and expanding using Linux powered devices on the field collecting data using cutting edge technologies
- Focus on security, user authentication, permissions, data integrity
- AWS Cloud
- Agile team using Scrum or Kanban using the Atlassian stack (JIRA, Confluence, BitBucket)
- Moving to a Microservices architecture using Kafka for messaging and currently implementing other patterns
- Continuous Integration and Delivery using Jenkins, SonarQube, New Relic, Docker,Terraform
- Reporting and Analytics using Pentaho
- Master's or Bachelor’s degree in computer science or any related field with emphasis on information technology is preferred
- Passionate about data and databases
- Linux administration experience
- Competitive base salary
- Company stock options package
- Eligible for discretionary annual bonus
- Health insurance
- 25 days of paid vacation time in addition to national holidays
- Shared office space with a great working environment and a flexible approach to work
- You will love what you do – waking up every day solving one of the biggest social problems of our generation
- Committed team members with broad experience who share a common passion to build a world-class business