Database Administrator (DBA)
Food waste is a $1 trillion problem – costing the world over 1% of global GDP. We’re dead set on solving the problem and looking for people to help us achieve our mission. We, at Winnow, believe that food is far too valuable to waste, and that technology can transform the way we produce food. Our team is made of people who all share a passion for food and technology.
Winnow was founded in London in 2013 to help the hospitality industry prevent food waste through the internet of things tools in the kitchen. We have worked with hundreds of sites and are operating in over 25 countries around the world supported by our offices in London, Dubai, Shanghai and Singapore. We are a rapidly growing company with a strong base of clients who are rolling out our system globally. We have blue-chip customers including Accor Hotels, IKEA, IHG, Marriott, Compass Group and many others.
Winnow’s clients on average reduce waste by over 50% by value and sustain savings. Winnow has now worked with hundreds of sites to reduce food waste, including hotels, universities and schools, staff restaurants, event/hospitality kitchens, buffets, pubs, and high street restaurants. Where the system is permanently adopted, pre-consumer waste value is reduced by 50% - 70% over 2 - 12 months, and maintained at these levels, with no detrimental impact to the perceived quality or value of the offer to their customers, and a net saving of staff time due to reduced food preparation and waste handling. This represents a typical improvement of food cost savings of 3% to 8%, commonly a 40%+ increase in profitability for restaurants. Watch our short videos on our YouTube channel to see the system in action.
About the roleWe are looking for a Database Engineer that specialises in the administration of MySQL and PostgreSQL. As the successful candidate, you will be passionate about database technologies, especially MySQL which you will know inside and out especially when using AWS RDS Aurora and the differences with the typical MySQL standalone database. Problem-solving, performance tuning and root-cause analysis are second nature to you and you have a knack for platform design, disaster recovery (DR) strategy and automation. You have an eye for continual service improvement and you identify processes that can be enhanced and have the skills to implement them.
- Expert knowledge and skills in the administration of MySQL
- Advanced knowledge and skills in the administration of PostgreSQL or other RDBMS
- Experience in administration of databases using both GUI and console.
- Scripting knowledge (bash/csh) and awk/sed and creating scripts from ‘scratch’ and understanding/modifying existing scripts.
- Schema design and data modelling supporting patterns in a microservices architecture
- Performance tuning, query optimization & index tuning
- Backup & restore strategies (and scripting thereof)
- Design & document scalable, secure, highly available database architectures
- Implement monitoring solutions to enable predictive alerting
- Set up and maintain administration & monitoring tools
- Review of change management requests to ensure optimal performance of services
- Research and evaluate new technologies
- Ability and willingness to learn new platforms and technologies
- Teamwork, knowledge transfer, process documentation
- Knowledge of Agile processes and tools such as JIRA
Technology is at the forefront of what we do, and the success of our company is based on our world-class technology and on finding solutions to real-world problems that have not been solved to date. Our current stack includes:
- Languages: Node.js, Java, AngularJS, Python
- Android apps
- REST APIs
- Designing and manufacturing IoT ‘smart’ edge devices and expanding using Linux powered devices on the field collecting data using cutting edge technologies
- Focus on security, user authentication, permissions, data integrity
- AWS Cloud using EC2, Aurora, S3 and other services
- JIRA, Confluence, BitBucket (Atlassian products)
- Moving to a Microservices architecture using Kafka for messaging and currently implementing other patterns
- Continuous Integration and Delivery using Jenkins, SonarQube, New Relic, Docker,Terraform
- Test Driven Development environment with a focus on testing and quality output
- Agile team using Scrum or Kanban (each team chooses the best approach to drive results)
- Reporting and Analytics using Pentaho
- Master's or Bachelor’s degree in computer science or any related field with emphasis on information technology is preferred
- Passionate about data and databases
- Linux administration experience
- Competitive base salary
- Company stock options package
- Eligible for discretionary annual bonus
- Health insurance
- 25 days of paid vacation time in addition to national holidays
- Shared office space with a great working environment and a flexible approach to work
- You will love what you do – waking up every day solving one of the biggest social problems of our generation
- Committed team members with broad experience who share a common passion to build a world-class business