Food waste is a $1 trillion problem – costing the world over 1% of global GDP. We’re dead set on solving the problem and looking for people to help us achieve our mission. We, at Winnow, believe that food is far too valuable to waste, and that technology can transform the way we produce food. Our team is made of people who all share a passion for food and technology.
Winnow was founded in London in 2013 to help the hospitality industry prevent food waste through internet of things tools in the kitchen. We have worked with hundreds of sites and are operating in over 25 countries around the world supported by our offices in London, Dubai, Shanghai and Singapore. We are a rapidly growing company with a strong base of clients who are rolling out our system globally. We have blue-chip customers including Accor Hotels, IKEA, IHG, Marriott, Compass Group and many others.
Winnow’s clients on average reduce waste by over 50% by value and sustain savings. Winnow has now worked with hundreds of sites to reduce food waste, including hotels, universities and schools, staff restaurants, event/hospitality kitchens, buffets, pubs, and high street restaurants. Where the system is permanently adopted, pre-consumer waste value is reduced by 50% - 70% over 2 - 12 months, and maintained at these levels, with no detrimental impact to the perceived quality or value of the offer to their customers, and a net saving of staff time due to reduced food preparation and waste handling. This represents a typical improvement of food cost savings of 3% to 8%, commonly a 40%+ increase in profitability for restaurants. Watch our short videos on our YouTube channel to see the system in action.
We are passionate about living our values and place them at the centre of everything we do. We are excited about likeminded talent who share these values, joining us in our mission:
- Equal parts head and heart. We’re both passionate and measured. We carefully balance the need for quick solutions and pragmatism with the ability to step back, take in the bigger picture and build for the long term.
- Bravely honest. With each other, that means we’re a transparent organisation where healthy, respectful debate is encouraged. With our customers, we challenge them if we don’t think they’re achieving their goals, whether they be environmental or financial.
- People of action. Done is better than perfect, and we learn by boldly doing then rapidly improving. We’re breaking new ground, so we know things might go wrong. But we judge ourselves and each other on our reaction and our resilience.
- Bound by food. We’re a diverse bunch, but our belief in the value of food is the common thread in everything we do. With each other, we celebrate through our love and respect for food. With our customers, it means we work hard to develop creative tools to make it easy for chefs to value food.
- Hungry and humble. Our product is revolutionary, our people are impressive, and we’re hungry for change. But, we’re just the catalyst for a bigger movement. We stay humble regardless of our success, and make chefs the heroes in this journey.
This is an opportunity to join a rapidly growing start-up (and one of Wired’s top 100 start-ups in Europe) and help us propel our growth at what is truly the most exciting and dynamic points in time in our business. You will work alongside a driven team who are motivated by building an exciting business and leaving the world a better place than we found it.
What’s does the role involve?
You will join a project team that is starting to bring a new product to market to revolutionise how our users interact with our system. The position is that of an engineer working with many technologies including Kafka, Python, RX and Go. The ideal candidate will have experience building software systems in any language with a passion for building easy to read and well-tested code. You will have the opportunity to work with everything from embedded systems to cloud clusters.
What skills do I need?
- Experience of writing non-trivial services in any language
- Building reusable code and libraries
- Writing unit tests
- Using containers (Docker, Kubernetes etc)
- Continually learning, we look to you to help us solve big problems and will provide all the support you need!
- OPTIONAL: End to end testing frameworks, nightwatch, robot etc
- Enjoy testing software (Unit/Integration/End to end tests)
- Would like the challenge of writing reliable end to end tests for a distributed system
- Are comfortable learning many different languages, and value choosing the right tool for the job (We currently use Go, Python, Java, all for different parts of the system)
- Competitive base salary
- Life insurance
- Company health insurance
- Employee assistance programme
- Lunch vouchers
- 25 days of paid vacation time in addition to national holidays
- You will love what you do – waking up every day solving one of the biggest social problems of our generation
- Committed team members with broad experience who share a common passion to build a world class business
- Shared office space in central London with free happy hours and a great working environment