Head of Explore
Food waste is a $1 trillion problem – costing the world over 1% of global GDP. We’re dead set on solving the problem and looking for people to help us achieve our mission. We, at Winnow, believe that food is far too valuable to waste, and that technology can transform the way we produce food. Our team is made of people who all share a passion for food and technology.
Winnow was founded in London in 2013 to help the hospitality industry prevent food waste through internet of things tools in the kitchen. We have worked with hundreds of sites and are operating in over 25 countries around the world supported by our offices in London, Dubai, Shanghai and Singapore. We are a rapidly growing company with a strong base of clients who are rolling out our system globally. We have blue-chip customers including Accor Hotels, IKEA, IHG, Marriott, Compass Group and many others.
Winnow’s clients on average reduce waste by over 50% by value and sustain savings. Winnow has now worked with hundreds of sites to reduce food waste, including hotels, universities and schools, staff restaurants, event/hospitality kitchens, buffets, pubs, and high street restaurants. Where the system is permanently adopted, pre-consumer waste value is reduced by 50% - 70% over 2 - 12 months, and maintained at these levels, with no detrimental impact to the perceived quality or value of the offer to their customers, and a net saving of staff time due to reduced food preparation and waste handling. This represents a typical improvement of food cost savings of 3% to 8%, commonly a 40%+ increase in profitability for restaurants. Watch our short videos on our YouTube channel to see the system in action.
We are passionate about living our values and place them at the centre of everything we do. We are excited about likeminded talent who share these values, joining us in our mission:
- Equal parts head and heart. We’re both passionate and measured. We carefully balance the need for quick solutions and pragmatism with the ability to step back, take in the bigger picture and build for the long term.
- Bravely honest. With each other, that means we’re a transparent organisation where healthy, respectful debate is encouraged. With our customers, we challenge them if we don’t think they’re achieving their goals, whether they be environmental or financial.
- People of action. Done is better than perfect, and we learn by boldly doing then rapidly improving. We’re breaking new ground, so we know things might go wrong. But we judge ourselves and each other on our reaction and our resilience.
- Bound by food. We’re a diverse bunch, but our belief in the value of food is the common thread in everything we do. With each other, we celebrate through our love and respect for food. With our customers, it means we work hard to develop creative tools to make it easy for chefs to value food.
- Hungry and humble. Our product is revolutionary, our people are impressive, and we’re hungry for change. But, we’re just the catalyst for a bigger movement. We stay humble regardless of our success, and make chefs the heroes in this journey.
This is an opportunity to join a rapidly growing start-up (and one of Wired’s top 100 start-ups in Europe) and help us propel our growth at what is truly the most exciting and dynamic points in time in our business. You will work alongside a driven team who are motivated by building an exciting business and leaving the world a better place than we found it.
About the role:
We have a great opportunity for a Head of Change to join our busy and growing team. We are looking for someone to lead the identification, selection, exploration, research, design, and successful implementation of strategic projects touching all areas of our business. In this role, you will orchestrate our agenda of strategic projects and key areas of exploration, such as:
- Working closely with the teams involved in various day-to-day processes of our business to understand opportunities to improve, design solutions, gain buy-in, and coordinate change
- Conducting research and interviews to gather data in support of answering key questions the business faces, such as pricing, selecting the next R&D project, or identifying potential partnership or acquisition opportunities.
- Leading a technology-enabled transition toward better measurement and visibility of internal business KPIs, and build a culture of using data to drive prioritisation, performance evaluation, and decision making.
- Supporting organisation design planning and people roadmap
- The role will involve balancing a number of concurrent projects with a great deal of breadth and variety. To be successful in the role, you'll need to be able to:
- Engage, convince and coordinate others
- Analyse and solve problems using a combination of intuition, experience, and research
- Operate at both a micro and macro level
- Be prolific, setting a pace that challenges others to keep up
- Bring a pragmatic level of structure and process both in your thinking and to the organisation
- Communicate through various channels across all levels of the organisation
- Take ownership of the success of our key strategic projects; planning, garnering the resources needed, orchestrating, and doing
- Participate in the identification and prioritisation of strategic projects
The role will report to one of Winnow's founders.
It is anticipated that the first major project will be to ensure the Target Operating Model and organisational restructuring are globally delivered to a world class standard.
- You have significant experience in managing and leading global change initiatives
- You are likely to be degree educated
- You are results driven and can demonstrate how you have delivered effective solutions in a timely manner
- You are comfortable taking ownership and accountability for your work whilst working effectively as part of a larger team
- With proven leadership capabilities, you are able to demonstrate how you have successfully implemented global projects by delivering through others
- You have experience working as part of a global team and building positive relationships with internal and external individual across borders
- With excellent communication skills you are a confident and articulate presenter. You communicate clearly in both written and spoken language.
- You are persuasive and personable and find building relationships with your customers enjoyable
- You have proven experience in challenging and questioning the status quo. You enjoy suggesting and implementing creative and innovative solutions to improve the way things get done
- Able to organise self, including effective scheduling, prioritisation and time management skills, managing multiple tasks in parallel and completing tasks to tight deadlines
- Ability to convince others to expressed point of view and gain acceptance and agreement of plans
- Track record of identifying problems, analysing options and deploying sound decision making skills.
Our shared attributes
- You are both passionate and measured. You carefully balance the need for quick solutions and pragmatism with the ability to step back, take in the bigger picture and build for the long term
- You are transparent in approach and enjoy healthy, respectful debate. You work hard to build open and honest collaborative relationships
- You get things done and seek to continually improve. Your customers want you on their team
- You are passionate about the value of food and are committed to the fight against food waste
- You are humble in approach and quick to pitch in if you see someone struggling
- Competitive base salary
- Life insurance
- Company part-funded health insurance
- Matching pension scheme
- Employee assistance programme
- Eyecare vouchers
- 25 days of paid vacation time in addition to national holidays
- You will love what you do – waking up every day solving one of the biggest social problems of our generation
- Committed team members with broad experience who share a common passion to build a world class business
- Shared office space in central London with free happy hours and a great working environment