Graduate opportunity - Materials Executive
Food waste is a $1 trillion problem – costing the world over 1% of global GDP. We’re dead set on solving the problem and looking for people to help us achieve our mission. We, at Winnow, believe that food is far too valuable to waste, and that technology can transform the way we produce food. Our team is made of people who all share a passion for food and technology.
Winnow was founded in London in 2013 to help the hospitality industry prevent food waste through internet of things tools in the kitchen. We have worked with hundreds of sites and are operating in over 30 countries around the world supported by our offices in London, Dubai, Shanghai, Singapore, Romania and North America. We are a rapidly growing company with a strong base of clients who are rolling out our system globally. We have blue-chip customers including Accor Hotels, IKEA, IHG, Marriott, Compass Group and many others.
Winnow’s clients on average reduce waste by over 50% by value and sustain savings. Winnow has now worked with hundreds of sites to reduce food waste, including hotels, universities and schools, staff restaurants, event/hospitality kitchens, buffets, pubs, and high street restaurants. Where the system is permanently adopted, pre-consumer waste value is reduced by 50% - 70% with no detrimental impact to the perceived quality or value of the offer to their customers. This represents a typical improvement of food cost savings of 3% to 8%, commonly a 40%+ increase in profitability for operations.
As the global leader in addressing food waste, we are committed to continue pushing the envelope on what technology can do to solve this problem. Winnow Vision, our new artificial intelligence-based technology, is trained to automatically track all food waste thrown away. It has won awards at the World Economic Forum and has been received tremendous enthusiasm from our clients and the industry. You can read more about it on our website and this article in Forbes.
We are passionate about living our values and place them at the centre of everything we do. We are excited about likeminded talent who share these values, joining us in our mission:
Equal parts head and heart. We’re both passionate and measured. We carefully balance the need for quick solutions and pragmatism with the ability to step back, take in the bigger picture and build for the long term.
Bravely honest. With each other, that means we’re a transparent organisation where healthy, respectful debate is encouraged. With our customers, we challenge them if we don’t think they’re achieving their goals, whether they be environmental or financial.
People of action. Done is better than perfect, and we learn by boldly doing then rapidly improving. We’re breaking new ground, so we know things might go wrong. But we judge ourselves and each other on our reaction and our resilience.
Bound by food. We’re a diverse bunch, but our belief in the value of food is the common thread in everything we do. With each other, we celebrate through our love and respect for food. With our customers, it means we work hard to develop creative tools to make it easy for chefs to value food.
Hungry and humble. Our product is revolutionary, our people are impressive, and we’re hungry for change. But, we’re just the catalyst for a bigger movement. We stay humble regardless of our success, and make chefs the heroes in this journey.
This is an opportunity to join a rapidly growing start-up (and one of Wired’s top 100 start-ups in Europe) and help us propel our growth at what is truly the most exciting and dynamic points in time in our business. You will work alongside a driven team who are motivated by building an exciting business and leaving the world a better place than we found it.
About the operations team
The Operations team are responsible for the on-boarding and implementation of our technology across new customers, as well as ensuring on-going success once the system is up and running on client sites.
The team manage the processes, systems and controls which enable our business to successfully scale and grow. The team continually review these processes to provide innovative enhancements to achieve operational excellence, which in turn enable the company to meet its strategic objectives.
Our Operations team consist of over 27 colleagues who are based in London, Dubai, Singapore, Shanghai and the US. Within Operations, our Shared Services team takes responsibility for our Customer Support, the building of the menus in the Winnow system, and for the procurement, storage and distribution of our hardware components.
Due to continued growth, we are looking for a motivated and ambitious individual with a can-do attitude to join our driven Shared Services team and take responsibility for the management and distribution of our product hardware.
The Materials function within our operations team is a ‘doing’ role. This role would be perfect for someone that loves getting stuck in, has a keen awareness of (or interest in) the complexities of international logistics and can identify and implement improvements quickly. We believe in being people of action and this role provides plenty of opportunity for someone to come in and make their mark for Winnow
Education and experience
- You are likely to be degree educated
- You are likely to have some prior work experience ideally within the logistics industry and have some understanding of the tech industry
- You will ideally have an intermediate level of Excel and working knowledge of Word and Powerpoint
- No extra languages necessary but will be considered an attribute
- You are results driven and highly motivated. You are a data driven person who is comfortable using data to plan and track shipments around the world
- You are comfortable taking ownership and accountability for your work whilst working effectively as part of a larger team and with limited supervision
- You have experience working as part of a global team and building positive relationships with internal and external individuals across borders
- With excellent communication skills you are a confident and articulate presenter. You communicate clearly in both written and spoken language. You listen attentively and are experienced in building successful relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- You are persuasive and personable and find building relationships with suppliers and colleagues enjoyable
- You have excellent attention to detail and a meticulous eye for identifying inconsistencies or inaccuracies in data. You take your time to get things right first time
- You are able to organise self, including effective scheduling, prioritisation and time management skills, managing multiple tasks in parallel and completing tasks to tight deadlines
- You understand how to manage change and are happy to get your hands dirty
Our shared attributes
- You are both passionate and measured. You carefully balance the need for quick solutions and pragmatism with the ability to step back, take in the bigger picture and build for the long term
- You are transparent in approach and enjoy healthy, respectful debate. You work hard to build open and honest collaborative relationships
- You get things done and seek to continually improve.
- You are passionate about the value of food and are committed to the fight against food waste
- You are humble in approach and quick to pitch in if you see someone struggling
- Competitive base salary
- Company stock options package
- Pension scheme
- Life insurance
- Company part-funded health insurance
- Employee assistance programme
- 25 days of paid vacation time (plus the option to buy a further 5 days annual leave) in addition to national holidays
- You will love what you do – waking up every day solving one of the biggest social problems of our generation
- Committed team members with broad experience who share a common passion to build a world class business