Food waste is a $1 trillion problem – costing the world over 1% of global GDP. We’re dead set on solving the problem and looking for people to help us achieve our mission. We, at Winnow, believe that food is far too valuable to waste, and that technology can transform the way we produce food. Our team is made of people who all share a passion for food and technology.
Winnow was founded in London in 2013 to help the hospitality industry prevent food waste through the internet of things tools in the kitchen. We have worked with hundreds of sites and are operating in over 25 countries around the world supported by our offices in London and Singapore. We are a rapidly growing company with a strong base of clients who are rolling out our system globally. We have blue-chip customers including Accor Hotels, IKEA, IHG, Marriott, Compass Group and many others.
Winnow’s clients on average reduce waste by over 50% by value and sustain savings. Winnow has now worked with hundreds of sites to reduce food waste, including hotels, universities and schools, staff restaurants, event/hospitality kitchens, buffets, pubs, and high street restaurants. Where the system is permanently adopted, pre-consumer waste value is reduced by 50% - 70% over 2 - 12 months, and maintained at these levels, with no detrimental impact to the perceived quality or value of the offer to their customers, and a net saving of staff time due to reduced food preparation and waste handling. This represents a typical improvement of food cost savings of 3% to 8%, commonly a 40%+ increase in profitability for restaurants. Watch our short videos on our YouTube channel to see the system in action.
We are passionate about living our values and place them at the centre of everything we do. We are excited about like-minded talent who share these values, joining us in our mission:
Equal parts head and heart. We’re both passionate and measured. We carefully balance the need for quick solutions and pragmatism with the ability to step back, take in the bigger picture and build for the long term.
Bravely honest. With each other, that means we’re a transparent organisation where a healthy, respectful debate is encouraged. With our customers, we challenge them if we don’t think they’re achieving their goals, whether they be environmental or financial.
People of action. Done is better than perfect, and we learn by boldly doing then rapidly improving. We’re breaking new ground, so we know things might go wrong. But we judge ourselves and each other on our reaction and our resilience.
Bound by food. We’re a diverse bunch, but our belief in the value of food is the common thread in everything we do. With each other, we celebrate through our love and respect for food. With our customers, it means we work hard to develop creative tools to make it easy for chefs to value food.
Hungry and humble. Our product is revolutionary, our people are impressive, and we’re hungry for change. But, we’re just the catalyst for a bigger movement. We stay humble regardless of our success and make the chef's the heroes in this journey.
This is an opportunity to join a rapidly growing start-up (and one of Wired’s top 100 startups in Europe) and help us propel our growth at what is truly the most exciting and dynamic points in time in our business. You will work alongside a driven team who are motivated by building an exciting business and leaving the world a better place than we found it.
About the role
We are looking for an Android Developer who possesses a passion for pushing mobile technologies to the limits. This Android app developer will work with our team of talented engineers to design and build the next generation of our mobile applications. Android programming works closely with other app development and technical teams.
- Reactive Extensions for the Java Virtual Machine
- applying SOLID principles into development flow
- experience in the 3 tiers of Android test
- experience in software feature development in a Continuous Integration environment
- Java 8 features and garbage collection principles in JVM
- understanding Event Driven Programming
- proficient understanding of code versioning tools such as Git and BitBucket
- managing data in relational database systems
- experience in using Android support library
- experience in writing solutions using MVVM + Data Binding
- seeing unit tests as an essential part of your work to complete your given tasks
Optional role requirements:
- operational knowledge of the following libraries: Retrofit, EventBus, OkHttp3, Dagger2, Room, Fresco
- experience in Firebase Analytics
- working with IoT devices and writing communication layers for USB and Bluetooth devices
- creating complex layouts for large screen Android devices
- writing and updating technical documentation using Confluence
- At least 2 years of continuous Android development and at least 5 years in software development
- BS/MS degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related subject
- experience working as a cross-functional agile team member
- proficiency with Android SDK
- knowledge of object-oriented analysis and design
- well spoken and written English language
- you write clean & maintainable code
- you see yourself as a part of a high-performance team that delivers results
- you are confident of your programming skills
- you don't mind asking if you are not certain and researching topics on your own
- you are not afraid to build something to prove a point
- you enjoy helping others
- you see no end in self-improvement
- you see algorithms in food recipes
- you can provide and receive constructive feedback
- Competitive base salary
- Company stock options package
- Eligible for discretionary annual bonus
- Health insurance
- 25 days of paid vacation time in addition to national holidays
- Shared office space with a great working environment and a flexible approach to work
- You will love what you do – waking up every day solving one of the biggest social problems of our generation
- Committed team members with broad experience who share a common passion to build a world class business