Business Development Manager - cruise specialist
Food waste is a $1 trillion problem – costing the world over 1% of global GDP. We’re dead set on solving the problem and looking for people to help us achieve our mission. We, at Winnow, believe that food is far too valuable to waste, and that technology can transform the way we produce food. Our team is made of people who all share a passion for food and technology.
Winnow was founded in London in 2013 to help the hospitality industry prevent food waste through internet of things tools in the kitchen. We have worked with hundreds of sites and are operating in over 25 countries around the world supported by our offices in London, Dubai,Singapore and Shanghai. We are a rapidly growing company with a strong base of clients who are rolling out our system globally. We have blue-chip customers including Accor Hotels, IKEA, IHG, Marriott, Compass Group and many others.
Winnow’s clients on average reduce waste by over 50% by value and sustain savings. Winnow has now worked with hundreds of sites to reduce food waste, including hotels, universities and schools, staff restaurants, event/hospitality kitchens, buffets, pubs, and high street restaurants. Where the system is permanently adopted, pre-consumer waste value is reduced by 50% - 70% over 2 - 12 months, and maintained at these levels, with no detrimental impact to the perceived quality or value of the offer to their customers, and a net saving of staff time due to reduced food preparation and waste handling. This represents a typical improvement of food cost savings of 3% to 8%, commonly a 40%+ increase in profitability for restaurants. Watch our short videos on our YouTube channel to see the system in action.
We are passionate about living our values and place them at the centre of everything we do. We are excited about likeminded talent who share these values, joining us in our mission:
Equal parts head and heart. We’re both passionate and measured. We carefully balance the need for quick solutions and pragmatism with the ability to step back, take in the bigger picture and build for the long term.
Bravely honest. With each other, that means we’re a transparent organisation where healthy, respectful debate is encouraged. With our customers, we challenge them if we don’t think they’re achieving their goals, whether they be environmental or financial.
People of action. Done is better than perfect, and we learn by boldly doing then rapidly improving. We’re breaking new ground, so we know things might go wrong. But we judge ourselves and each other on our reaction and our resilience.
Bound by food. We’re a diverse bunch, but our belief in the value of food is the common thread in everything we do. With each other, we celebrate through our love and respect for food. With our customers, it means we work hard to develop creative tools to make it easy for chefs to value food.
Hungry and humble. Our product is revolutionary, our people are impressive, and we’re hungry for change. But, we’re just the catalyst for a bigger movement. We stay humble regardless of our success, and make chefs the heroes in this journey.
This is an opportunity to join a rapidly growing start-up (and one of Wired’s top 100 start-ups in Europe) and help us propel our growth at what is truly the most exciting and dynamic points in time in our business. You will work alongside a driven team who are motivated by building an exciting business and leaving the world a better place than we found it.
About the role
Now we are established in Europe, the Middle East and Asia, our next goal is to bring the Winnow System to North America. We have proven success of reducing waste on cruise ships in Europe, and are now seeking a talented individual to help drive growth within this largely untapped industry in North America. As a Business Development Manager specialising in selling to cruise-lines, you will be responsible for designing and implementing strategy to penetrate this market.
We already have traction with leading companies in the industry who are adopting our system across their portfolio. Our product has been described as “transformative” and solving a well-known industry problem by well respected by industry leaders. We are delivering savings with our clients that is 2X to 10X our annual fees.
Our mission is to reduce food waste globally: Driving the impact expected in food waste reduction at site level is how this is achieved. You will be directly responsible for helping our clients achieve this.
- Develop a strategy for expanding the sales of the Winnow system to cruise-lines in Northern Amrica
- Manage the building of a pipeline within the industry in order to expand sales penetration, and provide solutions-based sales and service offering to customers
- Deliver new business through running large scale pilots with major customers and converting them into broader rollouts across their estates
- Develop deep relationships with key influencers in the market to help build a demand for our product
- Develop strategies for winning and growing our business with major clients, ensuring we obtain the buy-in of the full decision-making unit
- Nurture new accounts, highlighting early successes and advocating for scaling of our technology across their business
- Expand existing accounts, building on past successes to roll out across entire portfolios
- Identify routes into our target clients and build CxO-level relationships
- Participate in events to create new opportunities
- Analyse and assist in the completion of request for proposals from prospects, formulate solutions and follow-up of these RFP's
- Take responsiblity for the successful seamless transition of clients from new sales to operations
- Work alongside a driven team, dually motivated by building an exciting business and leaving the world a better place than we found it
Education and experience
- You are likely to be degree educated
- You will have proven experience in a high-performing sales team with a proven track record of exceeding sales targets
- You will ideally have experience either selling to the cruise industry, or will come from a role working within this field
- You will have established relationships within the cruise industry
- You have a good working knowledge of Word/Excel/PowerPoint etc.
- You are comfortable formulating and leading on sales pitches with key prospects and customers
- You have prior experience working with a CRM system, and of extracting and analysing data generated by this
- You are results-driven and can demonstrate how you have delivered effective solutions in a timely manner
- Experience in commercialising new technologies, including running pilots and delivering trial projects, a distinct advantage
- You have proven experience of knowing what it takes to provide consistently first-class customer service to external customers, remaining calm and measured even when dealing with the most demanding individuals
- You are comfortable taking ownership and accountability for your work whilst working effectively as part of a larger team
- With excellent communication skills you are a confident and articulate presenter. You communicate clearly in both written and spoken language. You listen attentively and are experienced in building successful relationships at all levels from CEO to analyst
- You are persuasive and personable and find building relationships with your customers enjoyable
- You have excellent attention to detail and a meticulous eye for identifying inconsistencies or inaccuracies in data. You take your time to get things right first time
- You have a solid grasp of financial analysis to build clear a business case for your customers
Our shared attributes
- You are both passionate and measured. You carefully balance the need for quick solutions and pragmatism with the ability to step back, take in the bigger picture and build for the long term
- You are transparent in approach and enjoy healthy, respectful debate. You work hard to build open and honest collaborative relationships
- You get things done and seek to continually improve. Your customers want you on their team
- You are passionate about the value of food and are committed to the fight against food waste
- You are humble in approach and quick to pitch in if you see someone struggling