Financial Manager / Controller / Analyst
Seeking a Financial Manager / Controller / Qualified Accountant to help us deliver the food waste revolution - bringing profitable, sustainable, technology-enabled change to commercial kitchens
Food waste costs hospitality over $100bn per annum, primarily due to wasted food purchasing costs, but also wasted labour, energy, and disposal costs. We at Winnow believe that food is far too valuable to waste, and that technology can transform the way we produce food. Our team is made of people who all share a passion for food and technology.
Winnow was founded in London, UK in 2013. We have worked with hundreds of sites and are operating in 15 countries around the world supported by our offices in London and Singapore, with Shanghai and Dubai soon to open. We are a rapidly growing company with a strong base of clients who are rolling our system out across the globe. We have blue-chip customers including Accor Hotels, Hyatt, Marriott, Compass Group and many others. We’ve recently been awarded The Guardian’s Sustainability Startup of the Year, and as one of Wired magazine’s top 100 startups in Europe, one of 10 in the UK.
This job offers a unique opportunity to become involved in one of the hottest areas of sustainability, with a rapidly growing team. Among your responsibilities will be supporting Winnow’s upcoming fundraising, estimated at £10m+.
Are you passionate, pragmatic, pioneering, collaborative, helpful and honest?
We are passionate about what we do and have a strong set of values as an organization. We are looking for you to come in and both build and operate our Finance function, as the first hire into this space. You will report directly to the CFO, and be expected to quickly learn and take on a great deal of responsibility, allowing Winnow to continue its rapid growth trajectory, managing a number of Winnow group entities around the world. For the right individual up for the challenge, this is an opportunity for rapid career acceleration in a highly dynamic environment. Even more important, it’s a chance to go to work every day and feel fantastic about making a positive difference in the world.
Winnow’s clients on average reduce waste by over 50% by value and sustain savings
Winnow has now worked with over 1,000 sites to reduce food waste, including hotels, universities and schools, staff restaurants, event/hospitality kitchens, buffets, pubs, and high street restaurants. Where the system is permanently adopted, pre-consumer waste value is reduced by 50% - 70% over 2 - 12 months, and maintained at these levels, with no detrimental impact to the perceived quality or value of the offer to their customers, and a net saving of staff time due to reduced food preparation and waste handling. This represents a typical improvement of food gross margins by 2% to 4%, commonly a 40%+ increase in profitability for restaurants. Watch our short videos on our YouTube channel to see the system in action and a case study.
We have an open culture and believe in a hierarchy of ideas and results rather than by title. We share a common desire to learn and improve and give individuals a ton of freedom to help us shape how our business will grow.
Key objectives of role:
- Reporting to the CFO/Founder, and managing an Accounts Assistant, you'll work within a driven team, dually motivated by building an exciting business and leaving the world a better place than we found it
- Build and update financial projections, forecasts, budgets, and business metrics
- Manage cashflow and funding needs across multiple entities
- Support fundraising efforts, including materials preparation, document review, and investor communications as well as finding optimal financing sources and helping set the funding plan
- Support business development discussions with strategic clients by calculating potential savings, and investigating costs to deliver on business opportunities around the world
- Help create, control, and administrate Winnow’s various legal entities around the world, including group financial consolidations
- Negotiate contracts and ensure successful engagement with suppliers and resellers
- Manage payroll, onboarding, offboarding, expenses, bank accounts, ESOP, company valuations, exchange rate policies and so forth
- Help analyse opportunities for Winnow, to support decision making on how we continue to grow, where we focus efforts to improve, and which projects we pursue
- Provide the voice of Finance in team and management discussions
You need to be comfortable both as a detail-driven finance manager who can soon be relied upon to take care of the day-to-day with minimal supervision, and a dynamic, strategic thinker who pragmatically designs and implements steps to mature and improve Winnow across all aspects of Finance at an impressive clip. You will spend significant time designing and supporting strategic plans for the overall group. Success will require an ability to constantly assess and reorder priorities in an ever-changing environment full of uncertainties and possibilities. The right candidate finds this invigorating, not intimidating.
- Top-tier academic background
- Qualified or part-qualified as an accountant with a minimum of 2 years’ bookkeeping/accounting experience
- Ideally has experience in building or transforming Finance function processes
- Clear understanding of accounting and GAAP
- Financial analysis, modelling, and forecasting
- Knowledge of industry standard Finance processes, including invoicing and A/R management, A/P management, budgeting
- Effective communicator, able to engage at all levels in internally and externally
- A strong drive, work ethic, and constant desire to improve
- Thrives in a fast-changing environment
- Has an entrepreneurial mindset and enjoys taking initiative
- Language skills
- Technology skills, such as programming, design
- Training or other public speaking experience
- Economics, MBA, CFA, CFP, or similar qualification
- Knowledge of Lean theory/practice
- Exposure to Prince 2, Six Sigma or similar
- Coding, product design, or other "tech" capabilities
- Competitive compensation based on experience, with total package value of £50,000 - £60,000
- Opportunity to take equity in a fast growing startup
- Committed team members with broad experience who share a common passion to build a world class business
- Shared office space in central London with free happy hours and a great working environment
- Underground bike parking with serviced showers (fresh towels every morning - yay!)
- Company part-funded health insurance
- 100% Matching pension scheme
- 25 days of paid vacation time in addition to national holidays
- High-octane personal and career growth opportunities in a rapidly expanding and purpose-driven enterprise