Food waste is a $1 trillion problem – costing the world over 1% of global GDP. We’re dead set on solving the problem and looking for people to help us achieve our mission. We, at Winnow, believe that food is far too valuable to waste, and that technology can transform the way we produce food. Our team is made of people who all share a passion for food and technology.
Winnow was founded in London in 2013 to help the hospitality industry prevent food waste through internet of things tools in the kitchen. We have worked with hundreds of sites and are operating in over 25 countries around the world supported by our offices in London and Singapore. We are a rapidly growing company with a strong base of clients who are rolling out our system globally. We have blue-chip customers including Accor Hotels, IKEA, IHG, Marriott, Compass Group and many others.
Winnow’s clients on average reduce waste by over 50% by value and sustain savings. Winnow has now worked with hundreds of sites to reduce food waste, including hotels, universities and schools, staff restaurants, event/hospitality kitchens, buffets, pubs, and high street restaurants. Where the system is permanently adopted, pre-consumer waste value is reduced by 50% - 70% over 2 - 12 months, and maintained at these levels, with no detrimental impact to the perceived quality or value of the offer to their customers, and a net saving of staff time due to reduced food preparation and waste handling. This represents a typical improvement of food cost savings of 3% to 8%, commonly a 40%+ increase in profitability for restaurants. Watch our short videos on our YouTube channel to see the system in action.
We are passionate about living our values and place them at the centre of everything we do. We are excited about likeminded talent who share these values, joining us in our mission:
Equal parts head and heart. We’re both passionate and measured. We carefully balance the need for quick solutions and pragmatism with the ability to step back, take in the bigger picture and build for the long term.
Bravely honest. With each other, that means we’re a transparent organisation where healthy, respectful debate is encouraged. With our customers, we challenge them if we don’t think they’re achieving their goals, whether they be environmental or financial.
People of action. Done is better than perfect, and we learn by boldly doing then rapidly improving. We’re breaking new ground, so we know things might go wrong. But we judge ourselves and each other on our reaction and our resilience.
Bound by food. We’re a diverse bunch, but our belief in the value of food is the common thread in everything we do. With each other, we celebrate through our love and respect for food. With our customers, it means we work hard to develop creative tools to make it easy for chefs to value food.
Hungry and humble. Our product is revolutionary, our people are impressive, and we’re hungry for change. But, we’re just the catalyst for a bigger movement. We stay humble regardless of our success, and make chefs the heroes in this journey.
This is an opportunity to join a rapidly growing start-up (and one of Wired’s top 100 start-ups in Europe) and help us propel our growth at what is truly the most exciting and dynamic points in time in our business. You will work alongside a driven team who are motivated by building an exciting business and leaving the world a better place than we found it.
About the role
Winnow products rely on a combination of proprietary software and a selection of hardware components. With regards to hardware we seek to remain modular and off-the-shelf where suitable components are available. Our first product, the Winnow Waste Monitor, has been through several generations of software and hardware through its first 4 years, and continues to evolve. We now have a variety of components working in the field in around 25 countries, and we're seeking someone who will take ownership of device specific testing, root cause analysis of in the field issues, and also the selection, sourcing, improvement, and management of the hardware components of this product as we reach ever-greater scale around the world.
- Bring the vision for Winnow Waste Monitor product hardware to life:
- Take an active part in design and prototype/test of each new iteration of hardware, researching and drawing on experts in each specific area
- Find, negotiate with, select, and manage relationships with the right supply chain partners and subject-matter experts
- Work closely with the software and operations teams to ensure we build a "complete product" aligned to the company roadmap, stakeholder feedback and customer reports
- Organise and prioritise the work done by our hardware team, ensuring that other functions at Winnow get the timely assistance they need to deliver for our customers
- Working with our software teams, manage and execute hardware specific testing procedures ensuring that new software releases are fully operational across our range of hardware solutions
- Plan and manage hardware releases and their distribution, setting timelines and communicating progress internally
- Document hardware specifications and information, maintenance and repair procedures
- Develop and own the process of reviewing returned faulty hardware
- Review, triage and troubleshoot returned faulty hardware
- Identify root causes and strive to minimise risk of recurring issues
- Aim to increase the average life time in the field of each component
Tinkerer - you like working with your hands and with computers.
Detective - you like gathering evidence, but have good intuition as well.
Prolific inventor - you can think laterally and creatively as to many approaches to solve the same problem, but you're able to make pragmatic decisions and move forward without suffering 'analysis paralysis'.
Conductor - You're organised, and can organise others to get things done, right and right on time.
Your education and experience:
- You are likely to have a top university degree, ideally in an engineering discipline
- You will have experience working on hardware and electronics projects, and will have globally sourced and tested hardware
- Experience in Agile projects involving a combination of hardware and software
- Experience in sourcing (or qualifying the sourcing of) materials / components
- Experience working with Project Management tools such as JIRA
- Software development and management (ideally SQL basics, Docker experience)
- Experience in networking and a keen interest in IoT deployment
- Experience working in a commercial kitchen environment will be helpful
- Excellent communication skills, flawless written English
- Structured thinking with a drive to diagnose and solve complex problems
- Superb time-management and prioritisastion skills and the ability to work independently
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with employees, customers, and suppliers at all levels
Our shared values
- You are both passionate and measured. You carefully balance the need for quick solutions and pragmatism with the ability to step back, take in the bigger picture and build for the long term. You listen to and act on what your customers need
- You are transparent in approach and enjoy healthy, respectful debate. You work hard to build open and honest collaborative relationships
- You get things done at pace and seek to continually improve. Your customers see you as someone who gets things done, and they want you on their team
- You are passionate about the value of food and are committed to playing an active role in fight against food waste
- You are humble in approach and quick to pitch in if you see someone struggling, regardless of the task
- Competitive base salary
- Committed team members with broad experience who share a common passion to build a world class business
- Shared office space in central London with free happy hours and a great working environment
- Company part-funded health insurance
- Matching pension scheme
- Life insurance
- 25 days of paid vacation time in addition to national holidays
- You will love what you do – waking up every day solving one of the biggest social problems of our generation