Business Development Manager, APAC
Food waste is a $1 trillion problem – costing the world over 1% of global GDP. We’re dead set on solving the problem and looking for people to help us achieve our mission. We, at Winnow, believe that food is far too valuable to waste, and that technology can transform the way we produce food. Our team is made of people who all share a passion for food and technology.
Winnow was founded in London in 2013 to help the hospitality industry prevent food waste through internet of things tools in the kitchen. We have worked with hundreds of sites and are operating in over 25 countries around the world supported by our offices in London, Dubai, Shanghai, Singapore and Iowa City. We are a rapidly growing company with a strong base of clients who are rolling out our system globally. We have blue-chip customers including Accor Hotels, IKEA, IHG, Marriott, Compass Group and many others.
Winnow’s clients on average reduce waste by over 50% by value and sustain savings. Winnow has now worked with hundreds of sites to reduce food waste, including hotels, universities and schools, staff restaurants, event/hospitality kitchens, buffets, pubs, and restaurants. Where the system is permanently adopted, pre-consumer waste value is reduced by 50% - 70% over 2 - 12 months, and maintained at these levels, with no detrimental impact to the perceived quality or value of the offer to their customers, and a net saving of staff time due to reduced food preparation and waste handling. This represents a typical improvement of food cost savings of 3% to 8%, commonly a 40%+ increase in profitability for restaurants. Watch our short videos on our YouTube channel to see the system in action.
We are passionate about living our values and place them at the centre of everything we do. We are excited about likeminded talent who share these values, joining us in our mission:
Equal parts head and heart. We’re both passionate and measured. We carefully balance the need for quick solutions and pragmatism with the ability to step back, take in the bigger picture and build for the long term.
Bravely honest. With each other, that means we’re a transparent organisation where healthy, respectful debate is encouraged. With our customers, we challenge them if we don’t think they’re achieving their goals, whether they be environmental or financial.
People of action. Done is better than perfect, and we learn by boldly doing then rapidly improving. We’re breaking new ground, so we know things might go wrong. But we judge ourselves and each other on our reaction and our resilience.
Bound by food. We’re a diverse bunch, but our belief in the value of food is the common thread in everything we do. With each other, we celebrate through our love and respect for food. With our customers, it means we work hard to develop creative tools to make it easy for chefs to value food.
Hungry and humble. Our product is revolutionary, our people are impressive, and we’re hungry for change. But, we’re just the catalyst for a bigger movement. We stay humble regardless of our success, and make chefs the heroes in this journey.
This is an opportunity to join a rapidly growing start-up (and one of Wired’s top 100 start-ups in Europe) and help us propel our growth at what is truly the most exciting and dynamic points in time in our business. You will work alongside a driven team who are motivated by building an exciting business and leaving the world a better place than we found it.
About the role
Due to continued expansion we are looking to add a Business Development Manager to the Singapore team to grow our APAC presence.
This is a varied role requiring someone with exceptional communication skills, business development ability and the confidence to represent the company and liaise with clients and senior stakeholders within the business.
- Work alongside a driven team, dually motivated by building an exciting business and leaving the world a better place than we found it
- Identify sales leads, meet & present solutions to new clients and maintain a good working relationship with new contacts
- Deliver new business through running large scale pilots with major customers and converting them into broader rollouts
- Develop deep relationships with key influencers in the market to help build a demand for our product both with primary buyers (e.g., contract caterers, hoteliers) and their customers (e.g., major corporates, facilities services consultants)
- Develop strategies for winning and growing our business with major clients, ensuring we obtain the buy-in of the full decision making unit
- Nurture new accounts, highlighting early successes and advocating for scaling of our technology across their business
- Expand existing accounts, building on past successes to roll out across entire portfolios
- Identify routes into our target clients and build CxO-level relationships
- Proven success in enterprise technology sales to hospitality sector, with a track record of closing enterprise-wide deals with large corporates
- Proven experience in moving sales further during long sales cycles
- Proven experience in a high-performing sales team with a proven track record of exceeding sales targets
- Track record in building successful relationships at all levels
- A proven team player, with a natural tendency to collaborate with others
- Solid grasp of financial analysis to build clear a business case for our clients
- A strong drive, work ethic, and constant desire to improve
- Passionate about sales techniques and processes
- Passion for improving the way kitchens work and reducing food waste
- Experience selling to hospitality, primarily hotels and contract catering
- Experience in commercialising new technologies, including running pilots and delivering trial projects, a distinct advantage
- APAC experience mandatory
- Postgraduate qualifications in environmental and/or business disciplines a distinct advantage
- Local language skills preferred
- Competitive salary
- Committed team members with broad experience who share a common passion to build a world class business
- Company part-funded health insurance
- 22 days of paid vacation time in addition to national holidays
- Career progression
- You will love what you do – waking up every day solving one of the biggest social problems of our generation