Business Development Manager, UK and Ireland
Food waste is a $1 trillion problem – costing the world over 1% of global GDP. We’re dead set on solving the problem and looking for people to help us achieve our mission. We, at Winnow, believe that food is far too valuable to waste, and that technology can transform the way we produce food. Our team is made of people who all share a passion for food and technology.
Winnow was founded in London in 2013 to help the hospitality industry prevent food waste through internet of things tools in the kitchen. We have worked with hundreds of sites and are operating in over 30 countries around the world supported by our offices in London, Dubai, Shanghai, Singapore, Romania and North America. We are a rapidly growing company with a strong base of clients who are rolling out our system globally. We have blue-chip customers including Accor Hotels, IKEA, IHG, Marriott, Compass Group and many others.
Winnow’s clients on average reduce waste by over 50% by value and sustain savings. Winnow has now worked with hundreds of sites to reduce food waste, including hotels, universities and schools, staff restaurants, event/hospitality kitchens, buffets, pubs, and high street restaurants. Where the system is permanently adopted, pre-consumer waste value is reduced by 50% - 70% with no detrimental impact to the perceived quality or value of the offer to their customers. This represents a typical improvement of food cost savings of 2% to 8%, commonly a 40%+ increase in profitability for operations.
As the global leader in addressing food waste, we are committed to continue pushing the envelope on what technology can do to solve this problem. Winnow Vision, our new artificial intelligence-based technology, is trained to automatically track all food waste thrown away. It has won awards at the World Economic Forum and has been received tremendous enthusiasm from our clients and the industry. You can read more about it on our website and this article in Forbes.
We are passionate about living our values and place them at the centre of everything we do. We are excited about like minded talent who share these values, joining us in our mission:
Equal parts head and heart. We’re both passionate and measured. We carefully balance the need for quick solutions and pragmatism with the ability to step back, take in the bigger picture and build for the long term.
Bravely honest. With each other, that means we’re a transparent organisation where healthy, respectful debate is encouraged. With our customers, we challenge them if we don’t think they’re achieving their goals, whether they be environmental or financial.
People of action. Done is better than perfect, and we learn by boldly doing then rapidly improving. We’re breaking new ground, so we know things might go wrong. But we judge ourselves and each other on our reaction and our resilience.
Bound by food. We’re a diverse bunch, but our belief in the value of food is the common thread in everything we do. With each other, we celebrate through our love and respect for food. With our customers, it means we work hard to develop creative tools to make it easy for chefs to value food.
Hungry and humble. Our product is revolutionary, our people are impressive, and we’re hungry for change. But, we’re just the catalyst for a bigger movement. We stay humble regardless of our success, and make chefs the heroes in this journey.
This is an opportunity to join a rapidly growing start-up (and one of Wired’s top 100 start-ups in Europe) and help us propel our growth at what is truly the most exciting and dynamic points in time in our business. You will work alongside a driven team who are motivated by building an exciting business and leaving the world a better place than we found it.
About the role
We are excited to be searching for a talented and ambitious Sales professional to join the organisation taking responsibility for driving growth throughout the UK and Ireland with a particular focus on contract caterers.
Reporting to the Commercial Director, this role is based in London, with some travel to customer sites.
- Develop a strategy for expanding the sales of the Winnow system to food service and hospitality businesses across the UK and Ireland
- Develop understanding of key accounts, new business opportunities and market priorities to be addressed within the assigned territories and markets
- Manage the building of a pipeline within the territory in order to expand sales penetration, and provide solutions-based sales and service offering to customers
- Deliver new business through running large scale pilots with major customers and converting them into broader rollouts across their estates
- Develop deep relationships with key influencers in the market to help build a demand for our product both with primary buyers (e.g., contract caterers, hotel chains) and their customers (e.g., major corporates, facilities services consultants)
- Develop strategies for winning and growing our business with major clients, ensuring we obtain the buy-in of the full decision-making unit
- Nurture new accounts, highlighting early successes and advocating for scaling of our technology across their business
- Expand existing accounts, building on past successes to roll out across entire portfolios
- Identify routes into our target clients and build CxO-level relationships
- Coach and develop junior team members
- Participate in events together with marketing team to create new opportunities.
- Analyse and assist in the completion of request for proposals from prospects, formulate solutions and follow-up of these RFP's
- Responsible for the successful seamless transition of clients from new sales to operations
- Work alongside a driven team, dually motivated by building an exciting business and leaving the world a better place than we found it
Education and experience
- You are likely to be degree educated,
- With proven experience in a high-performing sales team with a proven track record of exceeding sales targets
- You will ideally have experience either selling an enterprise solution to corporate caterers, or will come from a role working within the corporate catering market
- You have a good working knowledge of Word / Excel / PowerPoint etc
- You are comfortable formulating and leading on sales pitches with key prospects and customers
- You have prior experience working with a CRM system, and of extracting and analysing data generated by this
- Language requirements: fluency in English; other European languages would be helpful.
- You are results-driven and can demonstrate how you have delivered effective solutions in a timely manner
- Experience in commercialising new technologies, including running pilots and delivering trial projects, a distinct advantage
- You have proven experience of knowing what it takes to provide consistently first-class customer service to external customers, remaining calm and measured even when dealing with the most demanding individuals
- You are comfortable taking ownership and accountability for your work whilst working effectively as part of a larger team
- With proven leadership capabilities, you are able to demonstrate how you have successfully developed and coached others
- With excellent communication skills you are a confident and articulate presenter. You communicate clearly in both written and spoken language. You listen attentively and are experienced in building successful relationships at all levels from CEO to analyst
- You are persuasive and personable and find building relationships with your customers enjoyable
- You have excellent attention to detail and a meticulous eye for identifying inconsistencies or inaccuracies in data. You take your time to get things right first time
- You have a solid grasp of financial analysis to build clear a business case for your customers
Our shared attributes
- You are both passionate and measured. You carefully balance the need for quick solutions and pragmatism with the ability to step back, take in the bigger picture and build for the long term
- You are transparent in approach and enjoy healthy, respectful debate. You work hard to build open and honest collaborative relationships
- You get things done and seek to continually improve. Your customers want you on their team
- You are passionate about the value of food and are committed to the fight against food waste
- You are humble in approach and quick to pitch in if you see someone struggling
- Competitive base salary
- Life insurance (3 times base salary)
- Employee assistance programme
- Company part-funded health insurance
- Matching pension scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- 25 days of paid vacation time in addition to national holidays (plus the option to buy a further 5 days annual leave)
- You will love what you do – waking up every day solving one of the biggest social problems of our generation
- Committed team members with broad experience who share a common passion to build a world class business
- Great office space in central London with free happy hours and a great working environment