Food waste is a $1 trillion problem – costing the world over 1% of global GDP. We’re dead set on solving the problem and looking for people to help us achieve our mission. We, at Winnow, believe that food is far too valuable to waste, and that technology can transform the way we produce food. Our team is made of people who all share a passion for food and technology.
Winnow was founded in London in 2013 to help the hospitality industry prevent food waste through internet of things tools in the kitchen. We have worked with hundreds of sites and are operating in over 30 countries around the world supported by our offices in London, Dubai, Shanghai, Singapore, Romania and North America. We are a rapidly growing company with a strong base of clients who are rolling out our system globally. We have blue-chip customers including Accor Hotels, IKEA, IHG, Marriott, Compass Group and many others.
Winnow’s clients on average reduce waste by over 50% by value and sustain savings. Winnow has now worked with hundreds of sites to reduce food waste, including hotels, universities and schools, staff restaurants, event/hospitality kitchens, buffets, pubs, and high street restaurants. Where the system is permanently adopted, pre-consumer waste value is reduced by 50% - 70% with no detrimental impact to the perceived quality or value of the offer to their customers. This represents a typical improvement of food cost savings of 3% to 8%, commonly a 40%+ increase in profitability for operations.As the global leader in addressing food waste, we are committed to continue pushing the envelope on what technology can do to solve this problem. Winnow Vision, our new artificial intelligence-based technology, is trained to automatically track all food waste thrown away. It has won awards at the World Economic Forum and has been received tremendous enthusiasm from our clients and the industry. You can read more about it on our website and this article in Forbes.
About the role
We are looking for a mid front-end developer to help us build digital tools across our business. We develop and manage our own platform and we use a variety of server-side technologies. Our favourite candidates are developers that follow best practices in developing complete user interfaces with a focus on quality and performance, willing to take ownership and care of their work.
- Develop new user-facing features ensuring code quality and high performance
- Write reusable code
- Ensure the technical feasibility of UI/UX designs
- Cooperating with back-end developers in the process of building RESTful models
- Able to estimate effort required and deliver to your commitment
Technology is at the forefront of what we do, and the success of our company is based on our world-class technology and on finding solutions to real world problems that have not been solved to date. Our current stack includes:
- Android SDK
- REST APIs
- Designing and manufacturing IoT ‘smart’ edge devices and expanding using Linux powered devices on the field collecting data using cutting edge technologies
- Focus on security, user authentication, permissions, data integrity
- AWS Cloud using EC2, Aurora, S3 and other services
- JIRA, Confluence, BitBucket (Atlassian products)
- Moving to a micro services architecture using Kafka for messaging and currently implementing other patterns
- Continuous Integration and Delivery using Jenkins, SonarQube, New Relic, Docker, Terraform
- Test Driven Development environment with focus on testing, quality output and clear scoping
- Agile team using Scrum or Kanban (each team chooses the best approach to drive results)
- Reporting and Analytics using Pentaho
- Deep understanding of Vue.js, React or Angular
- Familiar with best practices, tooling and concepts used in Single Page Applications development
- Knowledge of SCSS best practices and caveats
- Keen on mobile first and responsive design practices
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools such as Git
- Experience in contributing to existing project(s) with imperfect documentation and rapidly evolving requirements.
- Solid understanding of concepts like Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery, Code Coverage, Code Quality, Test Driven Development, Unit Testing, and Integration Testing.
- Have experience using tools like JIRA and Confluence in a fully Agile environment
- Knowledge and understanding of Jenkins or other CI tools
- Professional and precise communication skills
- Comfortable in a fast-moving small company environment where things change based on data and customer feedback.
- Basic understanding of back-end technologies
- Competitive base salary
- Company stock options package
- Eligible for discretionary annual bonus
- Health insurance
- 25 days of paid vacation time in addition to national holidays
- Shared office space with a great working environment and a flexible approach to work
- You will love what you do – waking up every day solving one of the biggest social problems of our generation
- Committed team members with broad experience who share a common passion to build a world class business