General Legal Counsel (part-time / flexible working arrangement available if preferred)
Food waste is a $1 trillion problem – costing the world over 1% of global GDP. We’re dead set on solving the problem and looking for people to help us achieve our mission. We, at Winnow, believe that food is far too valuable to waste, and that technology can transform the way we produce food. Our team is made of people who all share a passion for food and technology.
Winnow was founded in London in 2013 to help the hospitality industry prevent food waste through internet of things tools in the kitchen. We have worked with hundreds of sites and are operating in over 30 countries around the world supported by our offices in London, Dubai, Shanghai, Singapore, Romania and North America. We are a rapidly growing company with a strong base of clients who are rolling out our system globally. We have blue-chip customers including Accor Hotels, IKEA, IHG, Marriott, Compass Group and many others.
Winnow’s clients on average reduce waste by over 50% by value and sustain savings. Winnow has now worked with hundreds of sites to reduce food waste, including hotels, universities and schools, staff restaurants, event/hospitality kitchens, buffets, pubs, and high street restaurants. Where the system is permanently adopted, pre-consumer waste value is reduced by 50% - 70% with no detrimental impact to the perceived quality or value of the offer to their customers. This represents a typical improvement of food cost savings of 3% to 8%, commonly a 40%+ increase in profitability for operations.
As the global leader in addressing food waste, we are committed to continue pushing the envelope on what technology can do to solve this problem. Winnow Vision, our new artificial intelligence-based technology, is trained to automatically track all food waste thrown away. It has won awards at the World Economic Forum and has been received tremendous enthusiasm from our clients and the industry. You can read more about it on our website and this article in Forbes.
We are passionate about living our values and place them at the centre of everything we do. We are excited about like minded talent who share these values, joining us in our mission:
Equal parts head and heart. We’re both passionate and measured. We carefully balance the need for quick solutions and pragmatism with the ability to step back, take in the bigger picture and build for the long term.
Bravely honest. With each other, that means we’re a transparent organisation where healthy, respectful debate is encouraged. With our customers, we challenge them if we don’t think they’re achieving their goals, whether they be environmental or financial.
People of action. Done is better than perfect, and we learn by boldly doing then rapidly improving. We’re breaking new ground, so we know things might go wrong. But we judge ourselves and each other on our reaction and our resilience.
Bound by food. We’re a diverse bunch, but our belief in the value of food is the common thread in everything we do. With each other, we celebrate through our love and respect for food. With our customers, it means we work hard to develop creative tools to make it easy for chefs to value food.
Hungry and humble. Our product is revolutionary, our people are impressive, and we’re hungry for change. But, we’re just the catalyst for a bigger movement. We stay humble regardless of our success, and make chefs the heroes in this journey.
This is an opportunity to join a rapidly growing start-up (and one of Wired’s top 100 start-ups in Europe) and help us propel our growth at what is truly the most exciting and dynamic points in time in our business. You will work alongside a driven team who are motivated by building an exciting business and leaving the world a better place than we found it.
About the team
Following several years of rapid growth through global expansion and recent fundraising, the company is looking for its first dedicated in house legal position on a part time to full time basis. This person will be responsible for maturing the legal function within the business and setting up the structure for future growth, and transitioning legal responsibilities from the founder, business development team, and existing out-sourced providers.
As the General Legal Counsel you will be responsible for all legal matters globally based out of London. With a focus on commercial contracts, this role will provide a broad spectrum of work across the diverse enterprise hardware/software as a service, sustainability startup spectrum.
- Commercial contracts: Drafting, reviewing and negotiating commercial contracts
- Employment: Managing employment law compliance, templates, and ad-hoc requests
- Product: Defining templates, terms and conditions for products new to the industry, working closely with the AI and software development teams advising on IP and best practice
- IP: Filing for and overseeing intellectual property rights portfolio including patents and trademarks
- General documents: Publishing agreements, technology agreements and responsibility for legal operations
- Growth support: Researching and advising on general and commercial legal, employment, tax, data, and regulatory matters for a dynamic growing business already operating in over 40 countries, with offices in 6.
- Data: Managing data risk, privacy and protection matters
- Financing: Negotiating and advising on corporate financing transactions including fundraising and possibly M&A and/or IPO in the future.
- Sourcing: Selecting and optimising use of outside counsel where needed
- Business Support: Address any other general or ad-hoc commercial legal queries from internal business stakeholders
- Process & Controls: Assist in the development of standard processes and appropriate internal controls regarding legal matters
Education and experience
- You are likely to be a UK qualified solicitor with at least 3 years PQE
- In-house experience is desirable, but if you are a private practice lawyer looking to move in-house and can point to good business and commercial skills we are also interested to talk to you
- You will have experience of drafting and negotiating commercial contracts, ideally within SaaS / Tech / Software environments
- You have excellent attention to detail and a meticulous eye for identifying inconsistencies or inaccuracies in data
- You have proven experience in challenging and questioning the status quo. You enjoy suggesting and implementing creative and innovative solutions to improve the way things get done
- You are transparent and act with integrity at all times
- You are results driven and able to organise yourself, including effective scheduling, prioritisation and time management skills, managing multiple tasks in parallel and completing tasks to tight deadlines
- Ability to convince others to expressed point of view and gain acceptance and agreement of plans
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills. You are a confident and articulate presenter. You communicate clearly in both written and spoken language. You listen attentively; you process and comprehend what you hear. You are also confident enough to ask questions and to clarify ambiguous points.
- Track record of identifying problems, analysing options and deploying sound decision making skills.
- Motivated and curious, you love absorbing new information and are able to reliably recall and figure out how to rapidly apply it. You have the courage, when appropriate to learn new technology rather than sticking to what you know already.
Our shared attributes
- You are both passionate and measured. You carefully balance the need for quick solutions and pragmatism with the ability to step back, take in the bigger picture and build for the long term
- You are transparent in approach and enjoy healthy, respectful debate. You work hard to build open and honest collaborative relationships
- You get things done and seek to continually improve. Your customers want you on their team
- You are passionate about the value of food and are committed to the fight against food waste
- You are humble in approach and quick to pitch in if you see someone struggling
- Competitive base salary
- Life insurance
- Company part-funded health insurance
- Matching pension scheme
- Employee assistance programme
- Eyecare vouchers
- 25 days of paid vacation time (plus the option to buy a further 5 days annual leave) in addition to national holidays
- You will love what you do – waking up every day solving one of the biggest social problems of our generation
- Committed team members with broad experience who share a common passion to build a world class business
- Our own office space in central London with a great working environment