Senior BI Developer / Team Lead
Food waste is a $1 trillion problem – costing the world over 1% of global GDP. We’re dead set on solving the problem and looking for people to help us achieve our mission. We, at Winnow, believe that food is far too valuable to waste, and that technology can transform the way we produce food. Our team is made of people who all share a passion for food and technology.
Winnow was founded in London in 2013 to help the hospitality industry prevent food waste through internet of things tools in the kitchen. We have worked with hundreds of sites and are operating in over 25 countries around the world supported by our offices in London, Dubai, Shanghai and Singapore. We are a rapidly growing company with a strong base of clients who are rolling out our system globally. We have blue-chip customers including Accor Hotels, IKEA, IHG, Marriott, Compass Group and many others.
Winnow’s clients on average reduce waste by over 50% by value and sustain savings. Winnow has now worked with hundreds of sites to reduce food waste, including hotels, universities and schools, staff restaurants, event/hospitality kitchens, buffets, pubs, and high street restaurants. Where the system is permanently adopted, pre-consumer waste value is reduced by 50% - 70% over 2 - 12 months, and maintained at these levels, with no detrimental impact to the perceived quality or value of the offer to their customers, and a net saving of staff time due to reduced food preparation and waste handling. This represents a typical improvement of food cost savings of 3% to 8%, commonly a 40%+ increase in profitability for restaurants. Watch our short videos on our YouTube channel to see the system in action.
We are passionate about living our values and place them at the centre of everything we do. We are excited about likeminded talent who share these values, joining us in our mission:
Equal parts head and heart. We’re both passionate and measured. We carefully balance the need for quick solutions and pragmatism with the ability to step back, take in the bigger picture and build for the long term.
Bravely honest. With each other, that means we’re a transparent organisation where healthy, respectful debate is encouraged. With our customers, we challenge them if we don’t think they’re achieving their goals, whether they be environmental or financial.
People of action. Done is better than perfect, and we learn by boldly doing then rapidly improving. We’re breaking new ground, so we know things might go wrong. But we judge ourselves and each other on our reaction and our resilience.
Bound by food. We’re a diverse bunch, but our belief in the value of food is the common thread in everything we do. With each other, we celebrate through our love and respect for food. With our customers, it means we work hard to develop creative tools to make it easy for chefs to value food.
Hungry and humble. Our product is revolutionary, our people are impressive, and we’re hungry for change. But, we’re just the catalyst for a bigger movement. We stay humble regardless of our success, and make chefs the heroes in this journey.
This is an opportunity to join a rapidly growing start-up (and one of Wired’s top 100 start-ups in Europe) and help us propel our growth at what is truly the most exciting and dynamic points in time in our business. You will work alongside a driven team who are motivated by building an exciting business and leaving the world a better place than we found it.
About the role:
This is an extraordinary opportunity best suited to talented, high calibre candidates. You will work closely with an exceptional team in an Agile/Scrum environment where collaborative development and coding practices are emphasised. You will have the chance to develop code in a fast paced environment and have the satisfaction of seeing your work being rapidly used by customers.
The BI development team are responsible for development of new reports and dashboards to support our increasingly sophisticated internal and external users. You will collaborate with our Product Owner and fellow BI developers to achieve this. As an experienced BI developer, you will be expected to lead by example to produce high quality, maintainable, re-useable code. You will relentlessly promote the benefits of professional development practices.
This is a hands-on role so your development work will take the largest chunk of your time, but as the team lead you will be also be performing three key functions: architecture, specification writing and leadership. Your architecture function will involve understanding our high level future state architecture and designing solutions which accommodate or incrementally move our current systems to this target architecture. Your specification writing will focus on turning requirements and user stories into technical specifications. It will require an in depth knowledge of our code base but also of our future state architecture. These specification documents will define the development work necessary to solve the problems we face.
Your leadership function will involve coordination and coaching of our BI developers, ensuring that everyone works effectively and efficiently. Our company structure is flat and prioritisation is driven by the Scrum process, so a collaborative leadership style is essential.
You are a specialist BI developer with 5+ years’ experience and some team lead experience. You are looking to take more responsibility. You probably have a Computer Science degree and you are really passionate, not only about writing beautiful code, but also about getting the full SDLC right.
We’re currently using Pentaho, and so you either have previous experience using this or a thorough enough understanding of data flows that getting up to speed with our current tool of choice will not be a problem. We’re open to using other tools in the future to ensure the best possible experience for our users.
You will use your knowledge to help the team 1) develop ETL processes to load our data warehouse, 2) extend and enhance our OLAP schema 3) write fast SQL and MDX queries to collect/cache data from the warehouse 4) develop reports and dashboards to present this data to users. You will definitely have experience delivering BI solutions into a release managed production environment.
You will have an eye for good visual design and simple, intuitive presentation of complex data.
- Significant experience in creation of ETL processes to load data from source data stores into OLAP schemas
- Use of MDX and data cubes for performant querying of large data sets
- Development of reports and drill down dashboards
- Advanced knowledge of database principles, OLAP schema design and performance tuning
- Some team leadership experience
- OLAP Database Architecture and performance tuning of queries
- Advanced SQL (PostgreSQL, MySQL)
- Experience with a source control system (Preferably Git/Bitbucket)
- Java Development
- Pentaho BA Server, Reporting, Dashboard Designer, Analyzer, ETL data integration (nice-to-have)
- Cloud Computing (preferably on Amazon Web Services) (nice-to-have)
- D3 Graphing library (nice-to-have)
- With proven leadership capabilities, you are able to demonstrate how you have successfully implemented your projects by delivering through others.
- You are results driven and can demonstrate how you have delivered effective solutions in a timely manner
- Ability to convince others to expressed point of view and gain acceptance and agreement of plans
- You are comfortable taking ownership and accountability for your work whilst working effectively as part of a larger team
- You have excellent attention to detail and a meticulous eye for identifying inconsistencies or inaccuracies in data. You take your time to get things right first time
- You have proven experience in challenging and questioning the status quo. You enjoy suggesting and implementing creative and innovative solutions to improve the way things get done
- Demonstrates excellent communication skills. You communicate clearly in both written and spoken language. You listen attentively; you process and comprehend what you hear. You are also confident enough to ask questions and to clarify ambiguous points.
- Track record of identifying problems, analysing options and deploying sound decision making skills.
- Motivated and curious, you love absorbing new information and are able to reliably recall and figure out how to rapidly apply it. You have the courage, when appropriate to learn new technology rather than sticking to what you know already.
Our shared attributes:
- You are both passionate and measured. You carefully balance the need for quick solutions and pragmatism with the ability to step back, take in the bigger picture and build for the long term
- You are transparent in approach and enjoy healthy, respectful debate. You work hard to build open and honest collaborative relationships
- You get things done and seek to continually improve. Your customers want you on their team
- You are passionate about the value of food and are committed to the fight against food waste
- You are humble in approach and quick to pitch in if you see someone struggling
- Competitive base salary
- Committed team members with broad experience who share a common passion to build a world class business
- Shared office space in central London with free happy hours and a great working environment
- Company part-funded health insurance
- Matching pension scheme
- 25 days of paid vacation time in addition to national holidays
- You will love what you do – waking up every day solving one of the biggest social problems of our generation