Business Development Manager, Southern Europe
Food waste is a $1 trillion problem – costing the world over 1% of global GDP. We’re dead set on solving the problem and looking for people to help us achieve our mission. We, at Winnow, believe that food is far too valuable to waste, and that technology can transform the way we produce food. Our team is made of people who all share a passion for food and technology.
Winnow was founded in London in 2013 to help the hospitality industry prevent food waste through internet of things tools in the kitchen. We have worked with hundreds of sites and are operating in over 25 countries around the world supported by our offices in London, Dubai, Shanghai and Singapore. We are a rapidly growing company with a strong base of clients who are rolling out our system globally. We have blue-chip customers including IKEA, Accor Hotels, IHG, Compass Group and many others.
This is an opportunity to join one of Wired’s top 100 start-ups in Europe and help us propel our growth at what is truly the most exciting and dynamic points in time in our business.
Winnow’s clients on average reduce waste by over 50% by value and sustain savings
Winnow has now worked with hundreds of sites to reduce food waste, including hotels, universities and schools, staff restaurants, event/hospitality kitchens, buffets, pubs, and high street restaurants. Where the system is permanently adopted, pre-consumer waste value is reduced by 50% - 70% over 2 - 12 months, and maintained at these levels, with no detrimental impact to the perceived quality or value of the offer to their customers, and a net saving of staff time due to reduced food preparation and waste handling. This represents a typical improvement of food cost savings of 3% to 8%, commonly a 40%+ increase in profitability for restaurants. Watch our short videos on our YouTube channel to see the system in action.
Are you passionate, pragmatic, pioneering, collaborative, helpful and honest?
We are passionate about what we do and have a strong set of values as an organization. We are looking for you to come in and lead our business development efforts in the Nordics. You will be part of a growing team and will work alongside the CEO and Commercial Director to help us grow our top line while setting the ground work for scaling our business in the Nordic region.
This job offers a unique opportunity to become involved in one of the hottest areas of sustainability, within a rapidly growing start-up. We have an open culture and believe in a hierarchy of ideas and results rather than titles. We share a common desire to learn and improve and give individuals freedom to help us shape how our business will grow.
About the role
Due to continued growth and expansion, a new opportunity has arisen for a talented and ambitious Sales professional to join the organisation taking responsibility for business development within Southern Europe.
With responsibility for designing and implementing business development strategy across the Mediterranean region, you will also oversee sales in select European territories, and will provide coaching and support to the Business Development Managers responsible for those territories.
This role is based in London, with regular travel to Spain, Italy, Portugal and possibly other countries.
- Develop a strategy and implementation plan for introducing the Winnow system to the hospitality sector across the region
- Develop understanding of key accounts, new business opportunities and market priorities to be addressed within the assigned territories
- Manage the building of a pipeline within the territory in order to expand sales penetration, and provide solutions-based sales and service offering to customers
- Deliver new business through running large scale pilots with major customers and converting them into broader rollouts across their estates
- Develop deep relationships with key influencers in the market to help build a demand for our product both with primary buyers (e.g., contract caterers, hoteliers) and their customers (e.g., major corporates, facilities services consultants)
- Develop strategies for winning and growing our business with major clients, ensuring we obtain the buy-in of the full decision-making unit
- Nurture new accounts, highlighting early successes and advocating for scaling of our technology across their business
- Expand existing accounts, building on past successes to roll out across entire portfolios
- Identify routes into our target clients and build CxO-level relationships
- Coach and develop junior team members
- Participate events together with marketing team to create new opportunities.
- Analyse and assist in the completion of request for proposals from prospects, formulate solutions and follow-up of these RFP's
- Responsible for the successful seamless transition of clients from new sales to operations
- Work alongside a driven team, dually motivated by building an exciting business and leaving the world a better place than we found it
Education and experience
- You are likely to be degree educated
- With proven experience in a high-performing sales team with a proven track record of exceeding sales targets
- And you will ideally have experience either selling an enterprise solution within the hospitality industry, or will come from an F&B background from within the hospitality sector.
- You have a good working knowledge of Word / Excel / Powerpoint etc
- You are comfortable formulating and leading on sales pitches with key prospects and customers
- You have prior experience working with a CRM system, and of extracting and analysing data generated by this
- Language requirements: fluency in English plus either Spanish or Italian at native level. In addition, French would be helpful.
- You are results-driven and can demonstrate how you have delivered effective solutions in a timely manner
- Experience selling to hospitality, primarily hotels and contract catering a big plus
- Experience in commercialising new technologies, including running pilots and delivering trial projects, a distinct advantage
- You have proven experience of knowing what it takes to provide consistently first-class customer service to external customers, remaining calm and measured even when dealing with the most demanding individuals
- You are comfortable taking ownership and accountability for your work whilst working effectively as part of a larger team
- With proven leadership capabilities, you are able to demonstrate how you have successfully developed and coached others
- With excellent communication skills you are a confident and articulate presenter. You communicate clearly in both written and spoken language. You listen attentively and are experienced in building successful relationships at all levels from CEO to analyst
- You are persuasive and personable and find building relationships with your customers enjoyable
- You have excellent attention to detail and a meticulous eye for identifying inconsistencies or inaccuracies in data. You take your time to get things right first time
- You have a solid grasp of financial analysis to build clear a business case for your customers
Our shared attributes
- You are both passionate and measured. You carefully balance the need for quick solutions and pragmatism with the ability to step back, take in the bigger picture and build for the long term
- You are transparent in approach and enjoy healthy, respectful debate. You work hard to build open and honest collaborative relationships
- You get things done and seek to continually improve. Your customers want you on their team
- You are passionate about the value of food and are committed to the fight against food waste
- You are humble in approach and quick to pitch in if you see someone struggling
- Competitive base salary, commensurate with experience
- Participation in sales commission scheme
- Opportunity to lead on new business in the Southern European region, with one of Europe's most exciting sustainability tech innovations
- Life insurance (3 times base salary)
- Employee assistance programme
- Company part-funded health insurance
- Matching pension scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- 25 days of paid vacation time in addition to national holidays
- You will love what you do – waking up every day solving one of the biggest social problems of our generation
- Committed team members with broad experience who share a common passion to build a world class business
- Great office space in central London with free happy hours and a great working environment