Machine Learning Engineer
Food waste is a $1 trillion problem – costing the world over 1% of global GDP. We’re dead set on solving the problem and looking for people to help us achieve our mission. We, at Winnow, believe that food is far too valuable to waste, and that technology can transform the way we produce food. Our team is made of people who all share a passion for food and technology.
Winnow was founded in London in 2013 to help the hospitality industry prevent food waste through internet of things tools in the kitchen. We have worked with hundreds of sites and are operating in over 30 countries around the world supported by our offices in London, Dubai, Shanghai and Singapore. We are a rapidly growing company with a strong base of clients who are rolling out our system globally. We have blue-chip customers including Accor Hotels, IKEA, IHG, Marriott, Compass Group and many others.
Winnow’s clients on average reduce waste by over 50% by value and sustain savings. Winnow has now worked with hundreds of sites to reduce food waste, including hotels, universities and schools, staff restaurants, event/hospitality kitchens, buffets, pubs, and high street restaurants. Where the system is permanently adopted, pre-consumer waste value is reduced by 50% - 70% over 2 - 12 months, and maintained at these levels, with no detrimental impact to the perceived quality or value of the offer to their customers, and a net saving of staff time due to reduced food preparation and waste handling. This represents a typical improvement of food cost savings of 3% to 8%, commonly a 40%+ increase in profitability for restaurants. Watch our short videos on our YouTube channel to see the system in action.
We are passionate about living our values and place them at the centre of everything we do. We are excited about like minded talent who share these values, joining us in our mission:
Equal parts head and heart. We’re both passionate and measured. We carefully balance the need for quick solutions and pragmatism with the ability to step back, take in the bigger picture and build for the long term.
Bravely honest. With each other, that means we’re a transparent organisation where healthy, respectful debate is encouraged. With our customers, we challenge them if we don’t think they’re achieving their goals, whether they be environmental or financial.
People of action. Done is better than perfect, and we learn by boldly doing then rapidly improving. We’re breaking new ground, so we know things might go wrong. But we judge ourselves and each other on our reaction and our resilience.
Bound by food. We’re a diverse bunch, but our belief in the value of food is the common thread in everything we do. With each other, we celebrate through our love and respect for food. With our customers, it means we work hard to develop creative tools to make it easy for chefs to value food.
Hungry and humble. Our product is revolutionary, our people are impressive, and we’re hungry for change. But, we’re just the catalyst for a bigger movement. We stay humble regardless of our success, and make chefs the heroes in this journey.
About the role
We are looking for a Machine Learning Engineer to join our highly experienced team and working on cutting edge technologies to and provide solutions to problems that so far have been in the range of “impossible”, the Winnow team is breaking boundaries and winning global awards for the innovative solutions it provides to commercial kitchens to reduce food waste.
- Good programming skills and experience in Python - you should be confident using pure Python, to write anything from a simple script to an application using OOP .
- Introducing and evaluating machine learning technologies relevant to success (TensorFlow, PyTorch, etc.)
- Building machine learning-driven recommendation systems using public (mainly AWS) and private cloud.
- Focus on delivering solutions to production and good knowledge of SQL and Databases (mainly PostgreSQL) and NoSQL databases as data for ML will be sourced from a number of different sources.
- Experience with applying predictive modelling using algorithms such as Decision Trees and Deep Learning.
- Knowledge in one or more specific areas of ML (Neural Nets/Deep Learning, Computer Vision or Natural Language Processing).
- Experience with large scale distributed programming and distributed computing platforms.
- Experience with TensorFlow (or other equivalent technologies)
- Experience with containers - we run most of our ML algorithms as containers
- A proven track record of using CI/CD pipelines - automating development and deployment pipelines for ML algorithms.
- Keen to learn new technologies - ML(Ops) is a very young branch of Tech and it is evolving super fast, so following and learning new technologies is crucial to keep up with it.
- Teamwork, knowledge transfer, process documentation
- Knowledge of Agile processes and tools such as JIRA
Technology is at the forefront of what we do, and the success of our company is based on our world-class technology and on finding solutions to real-world problems that have not been solved to date. Our current stack includes:
- Languages: Node.js, Java, AngularJS, Python
- Android apps
- REST APIs
- Designing and manufacturing IoT ‘smart’ edge devices and expanding using Linux powered devices on the field collecting data using cutting edge technologies
- Focus on security, user authentication, permissions, data integrity
- AWS Cloud using EC2, Aurora, S3 and other services
- JIRA, Confluence, BitBucket (Atlassian products)
- Moving to a Microservices architecture using Kafka for messaging and currently implementing other patterns
- Continuous Integration and Delivery using Jenkins, SonarQube, New Relic, Docker,Terraform
- Test Driven Development environment with a focus on testing and quality output
- Agile team using Scrum or Kanban (each team chooses the best approach to drive results)
- Reporting and Analytics using Pentaho
- Master's or Bachelor’s degree in Machine Learning, Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics or equivalent
- Passionate about data and databases
- Linux administration experience
- Competitive base salary
- Company stock options package
- Eligible for discretionary annual bonus
- Health insurance
- 25 days of paid vacation time in addition to national holidays
- Shared office space with a great working environment and a flexible approach to work
- You will love what you do – waking up every day solving one of the biggest social problems of our generation
- Committed team members with broad experience who share a common passion to build a world class business